Old 20-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Systemic Insecticide - How Often?

The systemic Insecticides I have looked at are silent about the
frequency of
application.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

What are you trying to kill? You don't use systemics (or any
insecticide) as a "preventative,". Like all insecticides, you
use them when there are critters present. Note that they ONLY
work on "sucking" insects, and there are many less toxic (and
cheaper) insecticides that will do as well. Note, too, that no
insecticide -- applied correctly -- will "kill them all."

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Bart Thomas

Old 21-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Jim Lewis

You can apply, for example, Ortho Orthenex every two to three

weeks;
however, I would apply only when normal preventative measures

fail.

Thanks, Michael.

The problem is on a ficus (scale that I would like to eradicate

before the
trees come indoors). I'm also spraying with Sevin.

I hope the tree survives this double-barreled-shotgun approach to
pest control. Do you have ANY idea what the synergistic effects
of these two chemical cocktails might be? Does anyone, I wonder?

Have you tried a toothbrush and alcohol?

Old 21-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Bart Thomas

I am using Sevin on the recommendation of Carolyn Carver, who ought to know.

Toothbrushes and alcohol are NOT options because this is a large ficus, and
that method failed when the tree was defoliated and I could see what I was
doing (you always miss some of them!).

Here in New Jersey, I don't wan't to try a second defoliation this season.
Nor do I want to bring the scale indoors, if I can help it.

Regards,

In a message dated 8/21/2003 8:01:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

The problem is on a Ficus (scale that I would like to eradicate

before the
trees come indoors). I'm also spraying with Sevin.

I don't think Sevin will do much on scale. I find with Bonsai that hand

(or
fingernail) removal of scale is very effective.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

****

Old 21-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Carl L Rosner

Bart:
I use the soap and alcohol on all my trees and it kills scale.... Just
add alcohol just before spraying.... if you don't have the recipe, let
me know... I hae never had a problem ridding scale. You do have to
spray at least three times with a few days inbetween, to eliminate the
babies....(that are under their momma's protection)!

Carl L Rosner
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 21-08-2003, 04:42 PM
sam crowell

I don't think Sevin will do much on scale. I find with Bonsai that hand
(or
fingernail) removal of scale is very effective.

Actually, I have taken the advice of someone, (I forget exactly who, but I
think they were on the weekly chats), and have used liquid Seven to GREAT
effect in ridding my trees of scale. I purchased the small spray bottle and
sprayed, being careful to spray underneath leaves. I usually make a
followup spray several days after my initial spraying. So far, this is the
best way I have found to deal with scale as it seemed I was always missing
some by hand picking. A couple weeks after the spraying the scale shells
had dried out and changed color, making them much easier for me to see, and
it really caused a lot of tiny scale shells to be able to be seen as well.
While it may not be a good solution in your area, or on a small tree, I have
to say it works really well for me.

Sam Crowell
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Chat privately with Bon Jovi, Seal, Bow Wow, or Mary J Blige using MSN
Messenger! http://www5.msnmessenger-download.co...r/default.aspx

Old 24-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Michael Persiano

Another option is to apply Di-Syston systemic granules for insect-related
problems. Simply sprinkle them on the root pad and water them into the soil.

In all regards, I would not recommend the use of either for trees scheduled
to be immediately from the outside to inside quarters. In this case, go to a
local nursery and purchase a systemic granule approved for inside use.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html