Old 20-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Cuttings?!

Hey,

Took a few hardwood cuttings, did the whole hormone powder

thingy, and
planted it in loose soil. Watered them regularly and even

misted them a few
times. They were standing outside. None of them rooted!

Question: What did I do wrong?

Maybe nothing. Maybe wrong time of year. Maybe wrong species.
Maybe too wet . . . Maybe . . .

We need more details. Species? When did you do it? How long
did you wait for roots (a year isn't too long for some species)?
Were they in sun? Indoors? How large? Kind of soil? Bottom
heat?

Goto www.evergreengardenworks.com and read the article(s) on
cuttings and propagation.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Carl L Rosner

You have to do a little research for the specie you desire to take
cuttings. Each tree has a different time of the year for taking
cuttings. The only one that I can think of that cuttings can be taken
almost anytime is a Serissa! Do I hear laughing????? :-D

Carl L. Rosner

blouoogadam wrote:

Hey,

Took a few hardwood cuttings, did the whole hormone powder thingy, and
planted it in loose soil. Watered them regularly and even misted them a few
times. They were standing outside. None of them rooted!

Question: What did I do wrong?

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Martin

Hardwood cuttings are best taken late in the fall. If things go well, they
will develop a hard scab over the cut area during the winter. There might
not be any rootage by spring, but later in the next growing season, you
might get a reasonable number of strikes. Good luck.
Marty

Old 24-08-2003, 01:32 PM
blouoogadam

Hey again,

I live in South Africa, and we had a really hot winter. I took cuttings
from
three different trees at three different times.

1. Acaia sp. I took in the fall. (May)
2. Milkwood tree. I took mid winter. (July)
3. Peach tree. I took about two weeks back.

Now, all except the fruit trees seem to have died. My trees stand outside,
my cuttings in a semi shaded area. My trees get more sun than my cuttings.
put saucers beneath the pots so the soil won't go too dry. The thorn trees
seems the 'deadest' of all. I tested for flexibility and it broke right
off.
So I just left it and hoped it was only the one, but I pulled another from
the soil and it looked wrotted.

The other two I haven't touched because it might be too soon. Obviously the
peach tree looks sovar the best. The cuttings are still green at least. The
milkwood tree's cuttings are a browny green now, but I am too scared to
pull
one out to see what's going on.

Need more info?

Thanx,

Adam.

blouoogadam wrote:

Hey,

Took a few hardwood cuttings, did the whole hormone powder thingy, and
planted it in loose soil. Watered them regularly and even misted them a

few
times. They were standing outside. None of them rooted!

Question: What did I do wrong?

************************************************* **************************

*****

************************************************* **************************

*****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

****

****

Old 24-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Kitsune Miko

You don't say how long you waited until testing the cuttings. Also what
medium did you use for your cuttings.

I put cuttings in pots with a mixture of peat and pearlite, then I put a
jar above them to keep them in a terrarium atmosphere. It has taken up to
three years to root hawthorne this way. I even rooted a nishiki pine this
way. That took even longer. I also make sure that I have an internode in
the ground.

I'm not familiar with the plants you named, so I don't know if they are
ones that root easy or not.

Kitsune Miko

At 03:02 PM 8/24/2003 +0200, blouoogadam wrote:
[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++