Old 30-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Peter Le Roux

Default [IBC] succulents as bonsai

Here in South Africa, Crassula grow pretty big- even where I live, which is
a whole different climate from where they originate (most crassula are from
mediterranean/semi desert areas and I live in a high altitude summer
rainfall climate) we had two crassula growing outside our house that were
about 7 feet high.

one thing that is worth mentioning about these plants in relation to bonsai,
is that most of the bonsai I see in photos from europe and the US look like
they don't get much water- the leaves are normally thin, slightly wrinkled
and often have a purplish tinge. The plants that grow here are normally
watered as for any other plant, and have plump, *succulent* leaves. Bearing
in mind that we have clayey soil that drains poorly, I have only rarely seen
crassula suffer from any sort of rot or other damp-related problems, so
maybe they can take a bit more water than they are normally given? Remember,
just because they can survive in the desert, doesn't mean they will thrive
like that- and in any case, most of them are from slightly wetter climates.

Peter le Roux
Johannesburg, south africa

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Peter Le Roux wrote:

Here in South Africa, Crassula grow pretty big- even where I live, which is
a whole different climate from where they originate (most crassula are from
mediterranean/semi desert areas and I live in a high altitude summer
rainfall climate) we had two crassula growing outside our house that were
about 7 feet high.

I've heard they can get that big. I can only dream.

one thing that is worth mentioning about these plants in relation to bonsai,
is that most of the bonsai I see in photos from europe and the US look like
they don't get much water- the leaves are normally thin, slightly wrinkled
and often have a purplish tinge. The plants that grow here are normally
watered as for any other plant, and have plump, *succulent* leaves. Bearing
in mind that we have clayey soil that drains poorly, I have only rarely seen
crassula suffer from any sort of rot or other damp-related problems, so
maybe they can take a bit more water than they are normally given?

When you buy jade plants in the US they are quite often potted in regular potting
soil which is much too heavy. Most people who buy these plants aren't going to
consider repotting in a coarse soil, and will probably water them like regular
house plants.

I have my two jade plants in the mixture of bonsai soil I use for my conifers--3/4
turface and 1/4 bark. The soil drains quickly. One of them I haven't watered
since I took it out of its nursery container 3 weeks ago and did a root pruning and
repotted it in bonsai soil. It's growing fine and the leaves are good and plump.
Considering we had some rain last night and should have some more rain this weekend
I won't be watering it for awhile.

snip

Peter le Roux
Johannesburg, south africa

So, the question is then, how often do people in South Africa use these for bonsai?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

Old 30-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Barb

Morning all,
I bought a Jade plant the other day that has 5-8 seperate trunk plants in
the one pot.. I picked it because I wanted as much as I could get for my
money, in reading about the soil for them, when I re pot them, I think as a
forest sean, should I put more sand int the regular potting soil then it
already has?
Thanks for answers..
Barb

Subject: [IBC] succulents as bonsai

Old 30-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Craig Cowing

Barb wrote:

Morning all,
I bought a Jade plant the other day that has 5-8 seperate trunk plants in
the one pot.. I picked it because I wanted as much as I could get for my
money, in reading about the soil for them, when I re pot them, I think as a
forest sean, should I put more sand int the regular potting soil then it
already has?
Thanks for answers..
Barb

snip

Barb:
I would put it in a mixture that is mostly coarse and drains fairly quickly. If it
is in regular potting soil, I'd recommend letting it dry out completely, taking it
out of the pot, shaking off as much potting soil as possible, and repotting in a
mixture that is at least half sand. I've seen them in some garden centers
growingin 100% sand with no trouble.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] transporting succulents and cacti Craig Cowing Bonsai 8 26-07-2004 03:03 AM
Mini cacti & succulents *picture link* Brian Gardening 1 09-04-2004 02:02 PM
Succulents Katra Edible Gardening 0 21-03-2004 09:32 PM
Cacti, Succulents, and Lithops and Other Exotics Shell91 Gardening 4 19-11-2003 01:42 PM
[IBC] succulents as bonsai Craig Cowing Bonsai 15 29-08-2003 07:42 PM