Old 30-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] late growing cottoneaster

I have a cottoneaster that i trunk chopped this spring. I took forever for
it to bud out again. then finally started sending out suckers from the
roots (this was june).. which i constantly removed.(i thought i had lost it
and cottoneasters couldnt be chopped like that) finally it started to
sprout from around the cut... but it wasnt untill mid-late july that it
finally started to take off with some growth. its got a beatuiful beginning
now.. a big leader which i'm forming into a cascade and many alternating
side branches off of it.. ranging from 4" to a foot. very green. no flowers
or fruit yet. my concern is that it started so late... is this going to
harm the plant whe fall get here??? is there anything i should do??

thanks steve lancaster PA

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Martin

It's too late to worry about it now. The new growth is already out, so
it'll have to sink or swim on its own. The only thing to do now is WAIT!
One caveat - don't do any more pruning 'til next year.
Marty

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Roger Snipes

Steve,

You should give the plant some protection this winter; a cold frame would be
a good spot to keep it over winter. You should also let all the new shoots
grow freely this year, other than directing your new leader into the line
you have planned for it. Since the plant has probably been weakened by the
ordeal, it might not be a bad idea to let it grow freely next year too.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)