Old 03-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Steve wachs

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm...

I keep my Elms out umtil mid Nov. The leaves usually drop off by then. I usually winter my trees ina greenhouse , but I have kept them in my house over the winter without any problems.

SteveW
Long Island NY

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-09-2003, 03:12 AM
Jim Lewis

Recently brought an Elm (i think - from a supermarket, no
really - its
got lovely roots, bit of work and it'll be fine)
Now - indoor or outdoor? - I've been leaving it out recently

in this
mild weather by should I bring it in soon? Also when should I

re pot?

John
UK

Never try and keep a Chinese Elm indoors for long periods. I

never bring
mine in. When the frosts come, I put a clear plastic bag over

my tree.
Elms are quite tough trees, especially considering that they

come from the
orient (and so are not used to such cold weather).

Never say never.

I have a couple of friends who "never" put their elms outside,
and they're (the elms, not the friends) quite nice trees (though
the friends are OK, too. [Luckily for me they don't read the
IBC.]).

Chinese elms are one of those trees that simply seem not to care
where they are if you can give them light, water and nutrients.
(They're also (MY opinion) quite often very dull trees -- and
yes, I have a few [including dull ones].)

That said, all trees, including Chinese elms will do better
outside than in, weather permitting. I suspect that Chinese elms
will do fine outdoors all year long in the UK (given our recent
conversation on climate zones).

{NOTE: Reference the
elms-are-quite-tough-considering-they-come-from-the-orient
statement, the orient" happens to include some of the coldest
places on earth. That's not, however, (I hasten to add) where
the Chinese elms in question happen to come from -- through the
very-closely-related, Siberian elms are another matter.}

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who has
never before today managed to use all 4 kinds of parentheses and
brackets on the keyboard in a single message. ;-)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++