Old 16-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Autumn styling

In may senses of the words, if you know what you are
doing, you can do anything you want.

I had a workshop with Mitsuya from Japan. I am in
California. We did junipers. We cut them way back.
Yet I have been advised not to severly prune other
plants at this time. I think he knows what he is
doing, not because he is Japanese, but because he has
devoted his life to the study of the practice and art
of bonsai.

Styling and pruning are stressful to a plant. It is
best to stress a plant when it can fight back and
recover. Or having the wisdom to know what the plant
needs.

Kitsune Miko

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Alan Walker

Jeff: Breaking dormancy is not a problem in the autumn. In temperate zones, trees
ENTER dormancy in late autumn or early winter. In my Louisiana climate, I can get
away with later pruning than you can in northern Ohio.
The problem is, as someone else pointed out, that pruning tends to induce
new growth. That is usually a good thing. But it is a bad thing when the plant is
heading into dormancy. This is because fresh, new growth has not yet "hardened off"
and is still fragile and more vulnerable to any kind of insult whether it be cold,
bruising, bending, or whatever.
If you do prune in autumn, then you have signed on for more diligent cold
weather care than you would normally need to exert. If you are set up with a
greenhouse and lots of time for monitoring, feel free to prune away. Otherwise, you
will do well to exercise restraint in the autumn. (All this assumes that you want
the tree to survive and thrive.)
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
SNIP
Heavy pruning is out of the question. You would be encouraging soft, new
growth which would be subject to winter kill. Wiring could be OK, provided you
don't place major stress on any branches. Stressed branches might be killed when
frozen.
Marty
----------
"Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL)" wrote:
Will heavy pruning cause the plant to break dormancy? If not, I'm not
understanding how pruning can encourage ANY growth if a plant is dormant.
Thanks,
Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 16-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Jim Lewis

I am somewhat confused as to why styling in Autumn is risky.
If the roots
are not disturbed and the plant is dormant, why can't styling

be
accomplished? It would seem to me that the danger from

insects, bacteria
and fungus would be diminished as you move into the colder

times of the
year. If the experienced folks on this list say "don't do

it" - I'll trust
their judgement and experience. However, I would like to

understand the
reasons for it.

It depends:

1. On your definition of fall
2. Ditto for "styling."
3. On your geographic location.
4. On the species of plant.

If your tree still has leaves, it still may be capable of making
new leaves. Pinching or pruning at that time of year --
especially if winter drops onto you in October or November -- can
be damaging if new, tender growth is generated (though your tree
will probably survive its loss in an early frost).

However, if all leaves have fallen (fall!) and the tree is
dormant and you KNOW you won't have a false spring in late
November or early December, light pruning should be OK.

If major chops are called for, you'll need to know how your tree
behaves. For a "bleeder" it may be better now than in spring.
But don't expect too much "healing" over the winter. Much as I
dislike cut paste, it may be called for to protect the wound from
the cold. (Extra winter protection may be called for, too, but I
bow to people who have a real winter for that.)

Wiring, generally, should be OK at any time in the "fall." Note
that many trees add trunk/limb girth over the winter months, so
if your trees are stored away in the dark or under snow for the
winter, you may have to go in and check them for wires that are
biting into the bark. Also, I am told (but have no experience
about) that freezing weather and wires don't always mix.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 16-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Andy Rutledge

Jeff,

Autumn is an excellent time for styling work, especially with pines and
junipers. It is not, however, an excellent time for pruning. Know also
that trees that have been wired need a bit of extra care during the winter,
for logical reasons.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.bonsai365.com/
zone 8, Texas
---------------------------

Old 16-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

In may senses of the words, if you know what you are
doing, you can do anything you want.

snip I think he knows what he is
doing, not because he is Japanese, but because he has
devoted his life to the study of the practice and art
of bonsai.

snip Or having the wisdom to know what the plant
needs.

Kitsune Miko

very reasons I ask so many questions and want to know not just what to do
and not to do, but why it should be done or not done. I would like to take
advantage of the knowledge and experience of others and then build on that -
rather than starting from scratch! This is why I enjoy this list and have
learned so much - lots of experience and a willingess to share it with we
novices. So, thanks for the responses everyone.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39