Old 24-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Default [IBC] Satsuki Help Needed

Or what I did on my "vacation"

I took yesterday afternoon and this morning off because the Grounds
Department told me they were removing some satsuki yesterday. I had
previously looked and they seemed to be planted in fairly uniform groups as
a decorative mass plantings. So I brought my hand tools and showed up. So
wrong!

First, they were removed Monday morning a just piled back behind a utility
shed. Next, no one told the crew doing the work that someone from the local
bonsai group was going to be coming by. Finally, the plants had been
planted over twenty years ago and some of them much too deep so the visible
portion of the plants were really branches of bigger plants. Naturally,
they ground layered at that point giving many plants two root systems.

I took 22 plants home with me last night after drastically pruning the tops.
Boy are my hands sore. I've washed out the roots and have them covered with
a wet sheet in the shade near my potting shed. This morning the ones with
leaves looked happier so I've potted up 6 using the original roots where
they are acceptable (some were not planted as low as others and two never
had their original roots spread when initially planted so the original roots
didn't grow much). The 6 have been re-washed and put into a 50/50 mix of
vermiculite and peat moss (or moss peat for those on the old side of the
pond). I plan to do the rest as soon as possible and are keeping the roots
wet with the sheet.

Here's the question, what can I do to increase the survival rate? All
suggestions gratefully accepted. I get the digest for lunch entertainment
so if I do not respond immediately, that may be the reason. TIA - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Alan Walker

Jay: For future reference, I would have simply brought the azaleas home, cleanly
pruned any torn ends of branches or roots, then planted them in landscape mix
(mulch) to let them recover from the ordeal until after flowering next spring.
Fortunately, azaleas have a shallow root system, and you usually can come up
with sufficient rootage, even if they were roughly pulled out.
I hope all that top pruning combined with the root work hasn't stressed them
too much. I would still recommend mulching them in the ground or a raised bed rather
than individually potting them at this time. If you have a greenhouse, it would be
good to protect them from extreme winter weather this year. If you have space in
your garage or storage building, you can do like Carl Rosner and build a raised bed
by laying out a couple of courses of cinder blocks and filling in the middle.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================
"Beckenbach, Jay" wrote:
Or what I did on my "vacation"
I took yesterday afternoon and this morning off because the Grounds
Department told me they were removing some satsuki yesterday. I had
previously looked, and they seemed to be planted in fairly uniform groups as
a decorative mass plantings. So I brought my hand tools and showed up. So wrong!
First, they were removed Monday morning and just piled back behind a utility

Old 24-09-2003, 08:22 PM
kevin bailey

Never collected large Satsuki myself, you lucky *********! I doubt they
are going to be much different to many other broadleaved shrubs other
than in their need for an acidic mix.

I have lifted smaller Satsuki that have been grown on in the garden for
a few years but I did this at the right time, spring.

That said, a rescue of something like this is too good to pass up and I
would recommend shade, regular misting and protection from wind. If you
are likely to be getting frosts anytime soon then some protection from
that would be helpful too. Avoid keeping the roots too wet. Water them
just the once and then let them get a little on the dry side so the
roots are hopefully prompted into going looking for water.

Most of all, good luck!

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Old 24-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Kev, thanks for the note. Thought about the misting. Can do if you think
it'll help. Set up a short duration misting operation to carry my plants
over a two week vacation (with neighbor backup). Worked like a charm.
Shade isn't a problem as my yard is covered with specimen oaks, definite
high shade but very little direct sun. I'm in north-central Florida so I
expect a few more months before frost and then I have a hoop house which I
set up this summer in preparation for this winter. Who would have guessed
that the first thing I'd need it for is a salvage operation. Good stuff.
Some of the trunks seem over 2" (5cm for you) between the two root systems.
That's why I hope to put most of them on their original roots, to get that
lovely trunk. I hope the moss peat covers the acid point, yes? The
vermiculite seems a bit fine but I felt I needed it to get in between the
roots after the original dirt (probably the original potting soil) out.
When I soaked the ones I potted up today, it seemed to drain slowly. Is
this possibly caused by the dry conditions of the vermiculite and moss peat?
As to how large, I hope to be in the 12"+ range (30 cm). Might get to 18"
(50 cm). Lovely flower, double red self with dark red blotch. Do you know
the variety? After 20 years, no one around here can be sure what was
planted so I'll have to go with an identification.

Thanks again for the help and have fun - jay

Old 24-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Here's the question, what can I do to increase the
survival rate? All
suggestions gratefully accepted. I get the digest for lunch

entertainment
so if I do not respond immediately, that may be the reason.

TIA - jay

Put them in the ground. Mulch heavily with OAK leaves (MUCH
better than pine straw), if possible. Leave them alone for a
couple of years, except for watering and judicious pruning.

Old 25-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Martin

Since you have so many plants, you could build a raised bed for them (
bordered with 2 x 10 boards). Fill the bed with a mix of peat and perlite,
plant them about the same level they were at in the park. Good luck!
Marty

Old 25-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Marty, thanks for the idea. These plants don't need additional ground
growing but the raised bed and perlite idea isn't really ground growing. I
have a hoop house I've just put up for next winter so it might go into that.
This needs thought. If I go this way, when would the plants come out of the
bed, next spring or in '05? These plants are strong now. Would two
transplanting so close together help or harm? With the double roots and
nice trunk between on many plants, would they be better put back on their
original roots now or when the come out of the bed? Nice idea, thanks - jay

Old 25-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Martin

raised bed, mulch them after the first hard frost, and leave them there
until the spring night temp. remains above 40F consistently. Placing them in
a poly house is not advisable because there would not be a consistent
dormancy. If left in the raised bed it will be safe to pot and prune them in
the spring.. As to 2 transplants fairly close together, I think a 4 month
interlude should be OK, provided they go thru a normal dormancy.
Marty