Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Sam Williams

Default [IBC] Trumpet Vine bonsai

Hello everyone!

I found a HUGE wild trumpet vine (Campsis radicans) growing on a Willow oak
in a cow field. It is about 6 or 7 inches in diameter. I saw one growing in a
pot at the National Arboretum, so I figured it would grow good in container
culture. Is this true for native trumpet vines? How well do they
transplant....and how much of a root system do they require to come out with it? I think what
I am going to do is, this spring, cut it back a LOT. Then allow it to grow
new 'branches' for a year. Then the following early spring, I will come back and
transplant it to a large pot. This way, I can ellimate the suckering problem
in my yard and also have a higher chance of survival. How does this sound?
Also, does anyone know of someone who grows this species for bonsai? I
appreciate it!

Sam Williams
Central Virginia, USA ( USDA zone 6b-7a)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++