Old 26-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] Recommended Book(s)?

One of the best is Tom Zane's Intermediate Bonsai Syllabus.

It is **FREE*** Just download it at

I have saved my Intermediate Bonsai Syllabus, a sucessor to my Introduction
to Bonsai - A Course Syllabus as a .pdf file on the BSF Website. You can
find
it, read it, download it by going to A
HREF="www.bonsai-bsf.com"www.bonsai-bsf.com/A and following the links
to Publications or going directly to: A
HREF="http://www.bonsai-bsf.com/intermediate.htm"
http://www.bonsai-bsf.com/intermediate.htm/A which will provide an index
to the uploaded files.

Old 26-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Blackjack

Thank you, I've downloaded this and some of the other publications on that
site. Are there any other pdf format Bonsai references/how-to books? I'd
still also like to hear recommendations for print books. Thanks again!

Rich Allen

(Bart Thomas) wrote in

Old 26-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Craig Cowing

Blackjack wrote:

Thank you, I've downloaded this and some of the other publications on that
site. Are there any other pdf format Bonsai references/how-to books? I'd
still also like to hear recommendations for print books. Thanks again!

Rich Allen

(Bart Thomas) wrote in

One of the best is Tom Zane's Intermediate Bonsai Syllabus.

It is **FREE*** Just download it at
http://www.bonsai-bsf.com/intermediate.htm

You could also download Herb Gustafson's tutorial on the IBC website.

One suggestion on books, coming from a book addict--most how-to books are pretty
much alike. Don't go out and spend lots of money on books which repeat the same
things over and over. Splurge on a few books which have good photos of specimen
trees. One I'd suggest is Amy Liang's "Living Art of Bonsai." Another is Deborah
Koreshoff's book, which I have but can't remember the title. This one is good for
styles and detailed sketches.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

I think that every Bonsai grower should have the Yoshimura book and the two
books by John Naka. Yoshimura is great about basic care as long as you
remember that the climate being referenced is Japan. Naka is for more advanced
styling.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-10-2003, 06:03 PM
MartyWeiser

In addition to Naka and Koreshoff, I also like Peter Adams now out of print
books that have a fairly heavy design focus. I believe that one or more of
Colin Lewis' books also have a fair bit on design. David DeGroot's bonsai
design book is a very affordable one as well. Most basic bonsai books
repeat similar horticultural and basic information as someone pointed out
earlier. In addition, publishers will often repackage the information by an
author once they own the copyright to bring out a new edition or book -
there might be two books worth of information in 8 - 10 books by the author
through no effort of theirs.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Alan Walker

Rich: Your antispam address will get you only responses via the list.
You can find several bonsai books with reviews and photos of the covers at
the BCI Book Store at http://bonsai-bci.com/books.htm Just click on the titles to
find the reviews.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
===================================

Old 28-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Stevie Boy

I looked and read quite a few pages of Colin Lewis's Bonsai survival manual
at the weekend well nearly the whole book without buying lol. Have to say
it's very good and indepth about what it has to say which I have not found
in many other Bonsai books I have read.

Tells you precisely how to water when and what to feed where to keep what to
look for in pests and how to trim,shape and repot your bonsai amoung other
interesting subjects. Better than some of the other books by the same author
and miles better than some other authors.

If I was not feeling so tight on the day I would have bought it.

Steve

Old 28-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Blackjack

I appreciate all of the suggestions! Thanks to all who replied.

Rich Allen