Old 29-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] loropetalum, was boxwood

We had a fairly leggy loropetalum worked up for our
club show plant sale. It was done as a multiple trunk
kengai in a Chinese pot. Very lovely.

I think we may crave species that are not quite hardy
because we can't imagine the plant in the back yard to
be exotic enough to be called bonsai.

Kitsune Miko
--- Nina Shishkoff wrote:
Without seeing the boxwood we all can't be

certain, but it doesn't sound like a
Kingsville boxwood to me. Sounds like one of the

hardier species--Korean or English
perhaps. I have never heard of a Kingsville

flowering, and the leaves sound too big.

This multitude of answers is making me nervous,
because I bought an unmarked boxwood at a freaky
little nursery, and I think it is a kingsville (pale
yellow-green, small-leaved, fine textured). I'd
like to overwinter it successfully. Factoring in
everybody's advice, it sounds like I should put it
in the barn, but if Dale wants to weigh in, I'll
listen to his advice with my usual rapt respect
(wink, wink).

Nina. Maryland. Zone 6/7

PS- The freaky nursery was also selling Loropetallum
(labeled as Fothergilla, but hey, close enough). I
love Loropetallum, I think they are the prettiest
shrubs in the whole entire world (I have seen one
mediocre Loropetallum bonsai; anyone ever seen a
good one?), but they are not reliably hardy here.
So the question is: indoors? Outdoors with
protection? Barn?

Why do we always desire the species that are
borderline hardy?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] loropetalum, Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 29-10-2003 05:42 PM
Loropetalum, 'Pizzazz' madgardener Gardening 9 12-07-2003 06:56 PM
Loropetalum Companion Plants Berob Gardening 1 11-05-2003 02:56 AM
[IBC] spots on boxwood (was leaf borer on kingsville boxwood) Sam Williams Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 01:08 AM
I'm killing my loropetalum! jo Gardening 2 16-04-2003 03:44 PM