Old 11-07-2003, 11:29 PM
madgardener

Default Loropetalum, 'Pizzazz'

Hello,
Madgardener here with a question. I have succumbed again.......Squire is
gonna KILL me, but I have brought home yet another bush to cram into the
dwindling spaces. We apparently have gotten in a GEORGOUS bush (a little
dude, that is in a one gallon pot, so it's young) a Loropetalum 'Pizzazz'.
foliage (the foliage alone was the main reason I bought mine as it's a deep
burgandy) and showy flowers (thats an understatement by the picture of the
flowers on the tag which was another reason I bought this bush). New on the
market. Screens, foundations, specimens and borders. (well that's a bit
debatable as here's the specs on the plants needs.......
Sun to partial shade, Average Rain climate, Flowers & Foliage: Plum purple
fringe-like flowers sporadically all year, peaking in spring with azaleas.,
Planting: Keep moist before and after, dig hole 3X width of pot, set root
ball slightly above soil level, loosen soil in base of hole, and mulch area
around ball, Soil well drained acid (no problem there) Average Dimensions
8-10' wide 6-8' tall.......they expect this to be a border shrub???? wow.
I think I have it in the wrong spot, and will move it tomorrow. I am
seriously thinking of putting it on the eastern corner of the house around
behind the carport, but fear I'd lose it to the north winds, any
suggestions? Anyone (Pam, this means you) have this and think my newly
rezoned Eastern Tennessee climate of now SEVEN could accomodate this beauty?
I await information.....there is NO hope for me!!! Squire be damned!! I
already have just paths leading thru the side yard and trickling down to the
overgrown dry woods......lordy the fairies have sorely infected me! GBSEG
madgardener up on the humid ridge, back in a sticky Fairy Holler,
overlooking hazy English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset 36

Old 12-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Bill Spohn

Anyone (Pam, this means you) have this and think my newly
rezoned Eastern Tennessee climate of now SEVEN could accomodate this beauty?

I would think not - we have trouble with it in anything less than 8b.

Probably be toast in the first hard winter you have.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Jacqueline Davidson

Mad, I don't know which Loropetalum I have, but it is on the west side of
the house, loves life and is growing like mad. We had a Japanese Maple
there which was unhappy and the gardner feller put it in back, on the east
side and put the Loropetalum in that spot. It is now in the ground about 5
years. It has never looked back. Has maroon leaves and pink fringy
flowers.
Jackie in NC
zone 7
hoping to move to Western TN or thereabouts..

Old 12-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Lee

"madgardener" wrote in message

....Sun to partial shade, Average Rain climate, Flowers & Foliage: Plum purple
fringe-like flowers sporadically all year, peaking in spring with azaleas.,
Planting: Keep moist before and after, dig hole 3X width of pot, set root
ball slightly above soil level, loosen soil in base of hole, and mulch area
around ball, Soil well drained acid (no problem there) Average Dimensions
8-10' wide 6-8' tall.......they expect this to be a border shrub???? wow.
I think I have it in the wrong spot, and will move it tomorrow. I am.... in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset 36

Mad, you will love it. When I bought this house it had two as
foundation plantings on the front (east side) between two windows and
the color, sort of burgundy, goes so well with the light grey/dappled
brick and the contrasting green and white lariope and pink Spirea,
etc.. They can be pruned but i like them to sort of spray. (if I can
keep ivan away from them with his clippers!)
I liked them so well I bought five more for the upper terrace to
soften the chain link fence. (I hate chain link fences but in our
little sub-midle class tract that's what is used!) I guess they are OK
but I prefer something a bit more ... you know what I mean. Not cold
grey metal! I am Texas in zone 7 and both the ones on the East side
which is somewhat protected by two large trees and the ones on the
west terrace which is open to afternoon sun seem to be doing well. I
may wish later when they are really matured that I got something
smaller. but I don't think so.

I have been out of pocket for the past several months and we have been
here now for the second summer. my garden is still a bit sad as not
nearly completed as yet. just takes time.

Good to see those of you who have been such loyal rec.gardeners are
still here.
thanks for being here.
Leona

Old 12-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Bill Spohn

awwww hell.............................

What the heck - some of your fellow zone 7 guys seem to have luck with it in
more protected sites - give it a try and see.

I grow Loropetalum 'Daybreak's Flame', 'Pipa's Red', and 'Fire Dance'.

Old 12-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Pam

Bill Spohn wrote:

Anyone (Pam, this means you) have this and think my newly
rezoned Eastern Tennessee climate of now SEVEN could accomodate this beauty?

I would think not - we have trouble with it in anything less than 8b.

Probably be toast in the first hard winter you have.

It *might* work for you, Maddie. Loropetalums are rated hardy to zone 7, so I am
not sure if your winter will be a factor or not. Loropetalums are not reliably
hardy here in the PNW, but it is less a factor of winter temperatures than it is
summer temps. It just doesn't get hot enough here in summer to ripen the wood
sufficiently to provide adequate flowering AND tolerate our soggy winters. I have
a nursery orphan I have been nursing along for several years now - its blooms
have always been skimpy and it has never put on substantial growth but it keeps
on chugging. I am sure your summers are significantly hotter than ours and that
may be enough of a factor to make the difference. It's worth a try anyway - I'd
try anything that would provide that foliage color on a year round basis - it's
not easy to come by :-)) And those spidery, hot pink flowers are amazing. I am
rapidly becoming very intrigued by anything in the Hamamelidaceae and developing
quite a little collection of plants from this family.

pam - gardengal

Old 12-07-2003, 04:32 PM
MLEBLANCA

I have Loropetalum 'Monraz'. not the purple leaved
one. This is green, with reddish new growth. I really
like this plant. As Pam says, it loves the heat.
Right now it is having its third bloom this year-
a much smalller number of flowers.
In March it was so covered with brilliant blooms,
I won two awards in our local flower show with
it: the Arboreal Award for shrubs and the Award
of Horticultural Excellence, for the Best of Show
in the horticultural division.
Emilie
NorCal

Old 12-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Gloria

I have one of those and I'm in zone 7, NE AL, and mine is gorgeous and has
doubled in size in one year. The evergreen one is definitely the best one,
the leaves are burgundy all year. It is definitely not a border shrub, it
will get 5' x 5'.

Gloria

[...]

---

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] loropetalum, Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 29-10-2003 05:42 PM
[IBC] loropetalum, was boxwood Kitsune Miko Bonsai 0 29-10-2003 04:12 PM
propagating Loropetalum Jacqueline Davidson Gardening 0 12-07-2003 08:56 PM
Loropetalum Companion Plants Berob Gardening 1 11-05-2003 02:56 AM
I'm killing my loropetalum! jo Gardening 2 16-04-2003 03:44 PM