Old 01-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim Wilson

Default [IBC] redbud ?

good for bonsai ? latin cercis canadensis
shade tolerent , fast growing , stress tolerant
compared with other species ---- Jim
zone 4 wisc/ illinois

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Jim Lewis

good for bonsai ? latin cercis canadensis
shade tolerent , fast growing , stress tolerant
compared with other species ---- Jim
zone 4 wisc/ illinois

It's been done, but not often. People I have talked with say the
leaves are large and getting sufficient ramification is very
difficult.

As far as stress goes, if they live naturally in your area it
would be hanging on by their "fingernails." My books show the
northernmost limit of their range as central Illinois. In pots,
they most definitely would require winter protection.

Considering that redbud isn't ideal bonsai material, I wouldn't
bother, considering the extra work you might have keeping them
going over the winter. But you may enjoy that kind of thing (I
guess you'd have to, living up there in all that COLD!) ;-)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Iris Cohen

good for bonsai ? Latin Cercis canadensis

You can try it, but it is not recommended. The Middle Eastern Judas tree,
Cercis siliquastrum, or Chinese redbud, Cercis chinensis, are said to be more
suitable for bonsai, although less winter hardy. You can find them in the trade
in the warmer states.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 02-11-2003, 01:34 AM
Iris Cohen

good for bonsai ? Latin Cercis canadensis

You can try it, but it is not recommended. The Middle Eastern Judas tree,
Cercis siliquastrum, or Chinese redbud, Cercis chinensis, are said to be more
suitable for bonsai, although less winter hardy. You can find them in the trade
in the warmer states.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

redbud trees didn't bloom ?!?! KeybdWizrd Gardening 1 07-05-2003 05:08 AM
redbud trees didn't bloom ?!?! KeybdWizrd Gardening 3 02-05-2003 11:56 PM
Redbud tree in full sun ok? animaux Gardening 2 30-04-2003 12:20 AM
Redbud question spampot Gardening 4 20-04-2003 05:44 PM
Planting a Redbud? whit Texas 5 12-04-2003 08:20 PM