Old 14-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Shireen Gonzaga

Default over-wintering Japanese maple

Hi again ...

I have a couple of Japanese maple saplings
that I kept outside in pots. With the cold
temperatures coming (zone 7), I was originally
planning to bury the pots in the soil for
the winter.

I recently ran across an article about
over-wintering in the refrigerator! Can I
actually use the crisper compartment to
store those saplings?!

Thanks,
shireen

--
Shireen Gonzaga, Data Analyst, Space Telescope Science Inst. O-
3700 San Martin Dr., Baltimore, MD 21212, USA. _/ )
Old 15-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Shelly Hurd

Hi Shireen,

So, you're in Baltimore, in an apartment(?), but you have someplace you
could over-winter your Acers p. in the ground. Understand that I don't
suffer the cold you will, but I have to think that ANYTHING is preferable to
keeping your tree(s) in the fridge. I've watched the 'cold-care' posts
here for years, and there are ways --and then there are ways-- do make
winter survival work. Your fridge has to be a last resort.

So . . . rather than tell you what I think you should do, let me appeal to
all of those IBCer's who actually LIVE in the cold to help you.

Okay, so I think burying and mulching is probably best; Iris may tell you to
cover with a rose cone also; others may say use a stryo ice chest -
outside - ; but surely someone will come up with something that will work
for you.

Regards and welcome to the IBC,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9