Old 15-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] Soil, heat, and watering restrictions...

Would love to hear from folks that have been dealing with watering
restrictions and fairly high heat during day time as to what they've gone to
for soil.

I realize it's a very personal matter and might vary from tree type to
another. In the past, I've used fast draining soil (with more or less
organics in it). But that needs more regular watering. I am now facing
some rather high UV levels (highest in the world, arguably), heat, sun, etc.
While we haven't gone into watering restrictions yet, this is looming closer
and closer.

Any feedback on this greatly appreciated :-)

nic

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Kitsune Miko

--- Nicolas Steenhout wrote:
Would love to hear from folks that have been dealing
with watering
restrictions and fairly high heat during day time as
to what they've gone to
for soil.

I realize it's a very personal matter and might vary
from tree type to
another. In the past, I've used fast draining soil
(with more or less
organics in it). But that needs more regular
watering. I am now facing
some rather high UV levels (highest in the world,
arguably), heat, sun, etc.
While we haven't gone into watering restrictions
yet, this is looming closer
and closer.

Any feedback on this greatly appreciated :-)

nic

++++Sponsored, in part, by Jarbas
Godoy ++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 15-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Kitsune Miko

Sorry for the blank message, fat fingers typing and
all.

Nic,

We have been on watering restrictions here in
California. In general, what I did was to increase
the organics in my soil mix, or add anything else that
retained water. This included some pumice for
drainage and water retention.

KZitsune Miko

Old 15-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Would love to hear from folks that have been dealing with
watering
restrictions and fairly high heat during day time as to what

they've gone to
for soil.

I realize it's a very personal matter and might vary from tree

type to
another. In the past, I've used fast draining soil (with more

or less
organics in it). But that needs more regular watering. I am

now facing
some rather high UV levels (highest in the world, arguably),

heat, sun, etc.
While we haven't gone into watering restrictions yet, this is

looming closer
and closer.

Any feedback on this greatly appreciated :-)

Nic . . . It probably would be better if you gave some specifics:
How hot? For how long in the day? Full sun? Partial shade?
Wind? Rainfall?

All of those -- and probably others -- are factors in watering
bonsai. And remember, one person's "warm" might be another
person's "HOT." Temperatures are relative. Back here, people in
New England complain of a heat wave when summer temps hit 80
degrees (F) for a few days. Down here in August, we'd think
about long pants at those temperatures.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

Old 15-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Iris Cohen

Would love to hear from folks that have been dealing with watering
restrictions and fairly high heat during day time as to what they've gone to
for soil.

Basically I use Fred Janson's Shallow Creek Bonsai Soil, although some times I
mix my own & combine the two. However, there is one important addition. I
always add acrylamide crystals. The usual brand name is SoilMoist. If you can't
find it, contact the company:
JRM Chemical, Inc.
4881 NEO Parkway • Cleveland, Ohio 44128
1-216-475-8488 • 1-800-962-4010
Fax (216)475-6517
A m/A

I also use Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt, which is Potassium silicate. If Dyna-Gro products
are not available, contact a chemical supply company. The Dyna-Gro people or a
large orchid nursery can tell you the proper dilution.
For some small bonsai, I have kept them in a water tray in hot weather, but
this is very risky. It is safer to give them more shade or water twice a day.
In some areas, like California, it is customary to use "grey water" (dishwater,
bath water, etc.) in the garden, but I don't know if this would be harmful to
bonsai.
Bottom line: find out what other bonsai growers in your area do.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 16-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Jim

At 08:55 PM 12/15/2003 +1300, Nicolas Steenhout wrote:
Would love to hear from folks that have been dealing with watering
restrictions and fairly high heat during day time as to what they've gone to
for soil.

nic,

Here in central Arkansas our summers got to 100F + and the humidity is also
quite high. I have tried wrapping my pots with burlap and watering during
the middle of the day, but the high humidity is not conducive to
evaporative cooling, so this is not too effective. It does help a bit though.

I presently am using white Styrofoam on my bench tops and this prevents
heat from transferring from the wooden benches to the pots. The benches
will be quite hot in the sun.

I am also using 50% shade cloth over any plant that has extreme exposure
during July and August; the remainder are in micro-climates of either
trees or lath. (Ol' mama hackberry keeps all at least 10 to 15 degrees
cooler.)

You need to keep soil temperatures below about 100F and here that is a
challenge.

Jim Harwood
Zone 7b, Hot Springs, AR

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

Thanks to all so far

How hot? For how long in the day? Full sun? Partial shade?
Wind? Rainfall?

How hot? 25C-30C, from 10'ish to 8ish. I do have full sun and partial
shade locations, but hesitate to put plants that like full sun in the shade.
One of the problem is the wind. It's always breezy, at least a day or two a
week it gets downright fierce... Dries everything real quick...

Extremely limited rainfall, hence watering restrictions. Not a problem yet,
though in past years my partner says we'd have been in for it already.

Iris, water retention crystals is something I'd never heard of (kept in the
dark...). Discovered them here just last week. Was hesitant to use them in
bonsai soil, but I just might. One thing I learned is to not overuse them.
Lynne put a little too much in a pot, and after a good solid rain, we had a
BLOB oozing over the edge of the pot grin

US sources are, for me, no good anymore :-/

Anyway, good thing I don't have many trees yet, can "sneak" them inside to
water if need me (only 2 trees in pots, and only because I had a *need* to
have something potted...)

Cheers all

Nic

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Robert Moore

Here in Melbourne, Oz, we've got 29C, 37C, 33C, 35C, 36C, predicted this
week.I've got my trees in protected semi-shade. Water (allowed with hand-held
hose) twice a day, surrounds damp for humidity, etc. The wind is generally
not a real problem, which would be the problem in AZ.I've always been a bit reluctant to use more 'chemicals' than necessary
(eg water crystals) but probably getting conservative in my old age.How do
you use them - lay them on the surface, or repot (!) to incorpoarte, or
put them in inadvance when repotting in spring?Lately the watering problems seem to be tougher for an ivy and a tiny
(round pot 5 cm across) grass both of which are indoors. They'll go
outdoors soon, I think.Would there be big problems with semi-shade, for a while, for plants that
prefer full sun? The available light would still be very generous.
Cheers

Rob

Old 16-12-2003, 03:35 AM
Iris Cohen

Oops. Wrong creek. That's Hollow Creek Bonsai.