Old 23-12-2003, 09:12 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] water from top or bottom

Depends on who you told you.

Kitsune Miko
--- Kirby Jo wrote:
I have been told both to water from the top and to
water from the
bottom......which is correct?

- Kirby

++++Sponsored, in part, by Jarbas
Godoy ++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 23-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Shelly Hurd

Top. Until the water exits through the drain holes.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 23-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Ole Kvaal

To judge from these answers, have I been totally wrong in filling up the
kitchen sink, and then lower the trees into the water? The right way is
the way my mother used to water the plants in the living room?

--
Regards,
Ole Kvaal,
Old 24-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Craig Cowing

rschmitt23 wrote:

Apparently it depends on the plant. For example, Peter Chan in his 1985
bonsai book "Bonsai: The Art of Growing and Keeping Miniature Trees"
recommends that a bonsai pot containing a willow (Salix spp.) should be
immersed in water during the summer. Same for a swamp cypress (Taxodium
distichum) bonsai.

Later

--
Ray Schmitt, Aliso Viejo, CA
Cold Hardiness Zone 10b

I have heard of people leaving willows standing in water during the summer, if
that's what you're referring to. Indoors I have my South African Puzzle Bush
(Ehretia rigida) in standing water and it loves it. However, you can't do that
with most bonsai.

I water from the top.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 24-12-2003, 02:33 AM
William N. Valavanis

Basically, it is important to water all plants from the top because as
the water moves down through the soil it will push out the old air and
draw in fresh air. So, whenever you water using this method you will
change the air in the soil which is very important.

After potting or repotting in bonsai soil it is also important to soak
the bonsai from the bottom AND from the top at the same time. The best
way to do this is to place the bonsai in a shallow pan of water up to
the container rim and allow the water to thoroughly soak each individual
particle of DRY soil. This is important because bonsai soil is usually
bone dry before potting. Now, since the roots need immediate moisture, I
will always water the bonsai from the top at the SAME time since this is
quicker than the water moving up the dry soil. When I water this way,
only after potting, small particles of dust can be seen leaving the
drainage holes. This small dust can actually clog the quick draining soil.

If the bonsai collection is not large in number you can use the
following technique for fertilizing which works excellent... if you have
the time to do it. Place water soluble fertilizer in a wheelbarrow then
move it from table to table to soak the bonsai from the bottom. The
fertilizer will thoroughly penetrate even the most potbound bonsai
through the hard soil. A good technique is to soak your healthiest and
most vigorous pines and narrow-leaf conifers FIRST, then proceed to less
vigorous specimens. Healthy plants will have an abundance of mycrohizza
in the soil which may become dislodged in the fertilizer water. When you
soak the next bonsai it will become inoculated with the mycorhizza. Yes,
I know that pathogens can be spread using this technique, but I have not
had that experience. But I have seen mycrohizza spread... I had
excellent results using this fertilizing technique, when my collection
was small enough to use it. Now I only use it for special specimens.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2003, 02:33 AM
Richard Marcus

I water from the top.
Myself, I like to dunk;donuts as well. LOL
Marcus

Old 24-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Marty Haber

Good advice, Bill. I would like to suggest that one more reason for bottom
watering of new plantings is not to disturb ornamental effects (i.e. moss
and small pebbles in a forest or seikei.)
Marty

Old 24-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Nina Shishkoff

To judge from these answers, have I been totally wrong in filling up the
kitchen sink, and then lower the trees into the water? The right way is
the way my mother used to water the plants in the living room?

People, don't commit ritual suicide over this or anything. Watering from the bottom is often a big production, and since there's no reason to do it, you don't have to. I used to do it once a month in order to fertilize everybody, but when I thought about
the possibility of spreading pathogens around (I'm a plant pathologist, I can't help it), I stopped doing it. But it's not a big deal one way or another. Except: if you use perlite in your pre-bonsai soil mix, you will *so* regret immersing your pots, b
ecause perlite floats. Oy.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2003, 02:18 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Basically, it is important to water all plants from the top because as
the water moves down through the soil it will push out the old air and
draw in fresh air.

Bill, I bow to you in most situations, but this sounds bogus to me. Water will displace air whether you add it from the top or bottom, and when it drains, air will come back.

Nina. I bow to Bill. Really. Watch at the next MidAtlantic Conference.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-12-2003, 03:36 PM
jklewis

I dunno about willow, but I have learned the bald cypress do NOT need to be immersed in water all summer -- except perhaps in the Arizona desert. In fact, I think they grow better if grown as "normal" bonsai. They seem to not grow much if kept in water -
- which may be OK with a mature "finished" tree.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

From: rschmitt23
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:33:39 -0800

Apparently it depends on the plant. For example, Peter Chan in his 1985
bonsai book "Bonsai: The Art of Growing and Keeping Miniature Trees"
recommends that a bonsai pot containing a willow (Salix spp.) should be
immersed in water during the summer. Same for a swamp cypress (Taxodium
distichum) bonsai.

Later

--
Ray Schmitt, Aliso Viejo, CA
Cold Hardiness Zone 10b
AHS Heat Zone 4
Sunset Climate Zone 22

news

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 24-12-2003, 05:42 PM
Brent Walston

At 08:43 AM 12/24/03 -0500, Nina Shishkoff wrote:
Basically, it is important to water all plants from the top because as
the water moves down through the soil it will push out the old air and
draw in fresh air.

Bill, I bow to you in most situations, but this sounds bogus to me. Water
will displace air whether you add it from the top or bottom, and when it
drains, air will come back.

Nina. I bow to Bill. Really. Watch at the next MidAtlantic Conference.

Folks

It's not a REALLY big deal, unless you live in a hard water area, BUT there
most certainly is a difference:

When you soak a plant (dunk it), it sits in the same volume of water
without any active circulation. The soil gets saturated. When you lift it
out, it drains. There has been a flush with only the volume of drain water,
regardless of the size of the container used for soaking. If you don't let
water go above the rim of the pot, but rather let it get to the top by
capillary action, there is effectiviely NO flushing action of the top
layers of soil. Each watering will add a little more salt deposit as the
water is evaporated or absorbed by the plant

When you water from above, the reverse is true. The top layers of soil are
continually bathed in fresh water with a less than saturated amount of
dissolved salt. This tends to dissolve any salt left behind by the
evaporation of the previous watering. Additionally, as the soil becomes
saturated, it drains, and additional watering will flush the soil with many
times the volume of the pot depending on how long you water. If you are in
a hard water area, watering overhead by a mist irrigation spray or other system
attached to a timer allows you to flush virtually all of the dissolved salt
that is practically possible.

The same is true of air flow through the soil mixture, although I doubt
this is as important as the salt flushing action of water flow. If you dunk
your plant, the water drains out the bottom and pulls in a fresh charge of
air behind it. One change of air, but probably adequate. If you water from
above much more air will be pulled through the soil mixture, unless you
water with a firehose and have some way of not blasting out the soil. Hey,
glued on rocks!

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dear IBCers:
This is another one of those things that we will be debating for many
years.... I tend to agree with Brent. I hand-water, from above, three
times with at least a 15-minute interval. Accumulated salts, are
usually washed out by the second and especially the third watering.
Of course, this is my Humble Opinion!

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 24-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Jim Wilson