Old 24-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Small pine

I had a question asked of me today that requires an
almost immediate answer (before noon PST)

Friend wants to buy a live tree and plant it in the
ground afterwards. He doesn't want it to exceed 10
feet when mature. Any suggestions? He thinks he
wants a pine, but I think he would be satisfied with a
fir or spruce.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2003, 07:02 PM
David J. Bockman

No fir cultivars fit the bill. Of the Spruces, there are many dwarf
cultivars, however all I can think of are globular or spreading rather
conical or tree-like.

Crypomeria japonica 'Black Dragon'
Cryptomeria japonica 'Tansu'
Pinus heldreichii, Bosnian Pine (var. 'LEUCODERMIS' would take many, many
years to exceed 10' in height)
Pinus parviflora 'Adcock's Dwarf'

Just to name a few....

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

I had a question asked of me today that requires an
almost immediate answer (before noon PST)

Friend wants to buy a live tree and plant it in the
ground afterwards. He doesn't want it to exceed 10
feet when mature. Any suggestions? He thinks he
wants a pine, but I think he would be satisfied with a
fir or spruce.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Craig Cowing

"David J. Bockman" wrote:

No fir cultivars fit the bill. Of the Spruces, there are many dwarf
cultivars, however all I can think of are globular or spreading rather
conical or tree-like.

Crypomeria japonica 'Black Dragon'
Cryptomeria japonica 'Tansu'
Pinus heldreichii, Bosnian Pine (var. 'LEUCODERMIS' would take many, many
years to exceed 10' in height)
Pinus parviflora 'Adcock's Dwarf'

Just to name a few....

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

How about a Dwarf Alberta Spruce? They don't get very big.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 01-01-2004, 06:12 PM
markstac

Mark Sunshine in NY here & Personally I LOVE Dwarf Hinoki(Sp ??)cypress ...
I know the non dwarf grow TALL but know not how fast. As dwarf I have seen
some 2-3' ...

***** Just a note to all who may recognize MY NAME.... OK I have been on
the list BUT inactive 2 years or more maybe closer to 3 years ... Life has
had me busy & I had little time to even read mail from the Bonsai List ! ...

I have Netscape filter/sort out & put mail from the bonsai list into a
seperate folder to read when I have time. The problem is when I read that
mail I like to reply w/ any advice/info I can offer... thus I get very into
it & well just will not start UNLESS I have the time to do it right.

I have now gotten away from "things" (& people) in my life that have had me
missing out on the things I did FOR ME ..... in fact a new & very specil
woman in my life has reminded me what I have been missing ... & she is into
horticuture/plants & so on.... SO if you see e-mail from My addr signed
Beth Ann ... YUP that is her ..

Glad to be back ... Mark

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++