Old 31-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] NZ Podocarpus

Thumbing through the 500-page Forest Farm Catalog (my resolution
to NOT acquire any new trees may not last long!) I run across
Podocarpus totara from N.Z. The book says the trunk was once
used for canoes up to 80 feet long, but it also says it makes a
good hedge plant and has ONE INCH needles.

Are any of you New Zealanders familiar with this one?

There's also a dwarf Taxodium distichum (bald cypress) taken from
a witch's broom that they say grows wider than tall.

Hoping that my resolve lasts the weekend . . . ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN:
An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." (Borrowed from a sig by
fellow listowner, Scott Peterson)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

Thumbing through the 500-page Forest Farm Catalog (my resolution
to NOT acquire any new trees may not last long!) I run across
Podocarpus totara from N.Z. The book says the trunk was once
used for canoes up to 80 feet long, but it also says it makes a
good hedge plant and has ONE INCH needles.

Are any of you New Zealanders familiar with this one?

I'm not familliar with it, but Lynne tells me that it's fairly slow growing.
She has no idea about the suitability of it as bonsai. She added that it's
a NZ native that is NOT in cultivation in NZ, and was not aware that it was
being sold overseas. She believes that a lot of the Maori would have a fit
if they knew... But I guess that's another story ;-)

Nic

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Jim Lewis

I run across
Podocarpus totara from N.Z. The book says the trunk was once
used for canoes up to 80 feet long, but it also says it makes

good hedge plant and has ONE INCH needles.

Are any of you New Zealanders familiar with this one?

I'm not familliar with it, but Lynne tells me that it's fairly

slow growing.
She has no idea about the suitability of it as bonsai. She

added that it's
a NZ native that is NOT in cultivation in NZ, and was not aware

that it was
being sold overseas. She believes that a lot of the Maori

would have a fit
if they knew...
But I guess that's another story ;-)

So tell it. Please. Why would the Maori be upset that the
haoles are growing one of many nice NZ natives?

Since other Podocarpus -- with MUCH larger leaves -- make good
bonsai, I see no reason why this one wouldn't, also. All of them
can be described as "slow growing."

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

Old 01-01-2004, 11:02 AM
kevin bailey

I picked up a couple of Podocarpus totara from a nursery that was
closing down last summer. I didn't know much about them but was
attracted by their Yew like foliage (and the price:-). There's a small
amount of info on them here http://tinyurl.com/3dcvl

I've also got P. alpina "Blue Gem" planted in my growing beds for a
couple of years now. It's extremely slow.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Thanks, Kev.

I see from the sheet that they're described as moderately fast
growers. I think I'm going to order a couple (unless I can find
them around here) and put them out in the yard for about 5 years
(1-gal. mail order trees are too small for bonsai -- even for
me). Apparently, they are cultivated for hedge and windbreak
planting in NZ.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

I picked up a couple of Podocarpus totara from a nursery that

was
closing down last summer. I didn't know much about them but was
attracted by their Yew like foliage (and the price:-). There's

a small
amount of info on them here
http://tinyurl.com/3dcvl

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Digging a Podocarpus and moving it north - suggestions sought Jim Lewis Bonsai 5 17-11-2004 09:56 PM
[IBC] Digging a Podocarpus and moving it north - suggestions sought Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 16-11-2004 04:26 PM
[IBC] Podocarpus Jim Lewis Bonsai 3 22-06-2004 03:02 PM
[IBC] podocarpus bonsai - is it dead? Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 21-09-2003 05:12 PM
[IBC] Podocarpus Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 30-06-2003 01:21 AM