Old 19-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Podocarpus

Tried to send this when the list was down, posted it on the
Gallery's Discussion and have had no responses. I'll try here.

I will have the opportunity to remove two promising large (3
feet) Podocarpus from a Central Florida yard over the
Christmas-New Year holidays.

I've had poor luck digging large Podocarpus.

I've always blamed it on the story that Podocarps don't like
people fiddling with their roots ("NEVER cut more than 20% of the
roots" is in book after book.) But then there was the article in
BT not too long ago showing very large Podocarps with root
systems literally chopped away when they were dug.

While at the Florida convention last month, I was told that the
secret is to cut "almost all" the foliage away, just leaving a
spot of green on each branch.

I'd like to hear from folks with EXPERIENCE with these trees
who'd like to chime in here. These two plants are very nice
potential bonsai. I'd like to get them safely out.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Jim, since you've not gotten any joy with this, I thought I'd give it a
shot. As you know, podos are a problem. I have several small ones taken
from off-campus as saplings. They are doing ok. I also have a larger one
which came from a salvage dig on campus in mid-fall if memory serves (others
taken at the same time by me and others in our club did not survive the next
summer). After a year's rest, I worked the root base which was typical of
podos, a big thick bulging pad. It had been repotted twice but is still in
the original barrel bottom growing pot.

Since my yard is sunlight challenged, my guess is that for older podos you
should treat them as tropicals in that they should be worked when the soil
temperature is warm. Also, my older one has been in very course soil,
perlite and pine bark. It seems slow to recover after repotting but does
take off after a year or so. I'm in my second year with the latest
repotting and am getting good growth in spite of the high oak shade which is
my yard.

In summary, my guess is warm weather repotting, course soil, shade after
potting up for a long time and patience in working with them since they
don't seem to grow abundant roots. Let me know how yours turn out since we
see a lot of podos here and I'll probably be salvaging more.

By the way, Tom Brantley in Ocala salvaged quite a number from a campus
construction site recently. You might see what he's doing with them and
what his success rate is.

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

Old 21-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Jim Lewis

By the way, Tom Brantley in Ocala salvaged quite a number from
a campus
construction site recently. You might see what he's doing with

them and
what his success rate is.

Thanks, Jay.

I don't have any choice as to when I dig this -- it's the last
week in December or never. :-/ I think I'll rig up a large cold
frame for it when it gets up to chilly N. Fla.

I have one podocarpus (a workshop tree) that's been doing OK in a
training pot for 4-5 years now, but it does have a base that
looks like an onion. I've been slowly carving away at it and so
far so good.

Tom Brantley was who told me to chop most of the foliage, so I
guess I'll follow his advice.

My other podo digs were in summer and were spur-of-the-moment
things and I didn't have the right equipment, soil, or pots, so
it's probably no surprise that they lingered a while then
expired.

I'll post pics on the gallery showing the whole thing -- good,
bad or disastrous.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Old 22-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Jim, think tropical. Although podos are hardy here, it seems when you
disturb the roots, they become very temperature sensitive, hot and cold.
Can you get temporary heat in your cold frame for the panhandle cold snaps?
Also, remember that the only other option for these guys seems to be the
dump. Go for it and let me know how it comes out. Have fun - jay

---------- CLIP ----------

My other podo digs were in summer and were spur-of-the-moment
things and I didn't have the right equipment, soil, or pots, so
it's probably no surprise that they lingered a while then
expired.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Digging a Podocarpus and moving it north - suggestions sought Jim Lewis Bonsai 5 17-11-2004 09:56 PM
[IBC] Digging a Podocarpus and moving it north - suggestions sought Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 16-11-2004 04:26 PM
[IBC] NZ Podocarpus Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 01-01-2004 02:02 PM
[IBC] podocarpus bonsai - is it dead? Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 21-09-2003 05:12 PM
[IBC] Podocarpus Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 30-06-2003 01:21 AM