Old 04-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] African Sumac

After checking the archives and finding nothing on it, does anyone have any
experience with Rhus lancea? BRBR

The genus closest to sumac which is used for bonsai is Pistacia. I have a grove
of Pistacia chinensis which I have been battling for over ten years. Somebody
in Japan won a big prize with this species a couple of years ago. From my own
experience, it is a royal pain. It is only now beginning to look like anything,
& it needs constant supervision to keep the leaves reduced. It refuses to grow
branches in any respectable manner. In a different climate, you may have better
success.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 04-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Jim Lewis

After checking the archives and finding nothing on it, does
anyone have
any experience with Rhus Lancea? I have 2 in the yard to dig

up, one
has a trunk of 5-6 inches across. They are an evergreen, but

have
noticed they back bud well. I would like to trunk chop the

large one
before I dig it up. Also, is it better to transplant it over

time since
it's in my yard? Trunk chop first then dig up next year?
Brian Zone 12 Tucson,AZ

Almost all Rhus are "weeds." So, by definition, they're tough.
I've been working on a couple of smooth sumac for several years
now (with limited success). I've been training them "in situ"
and while they've put out a lot of branches, unlike other trees
this has not resulted in an appreciable thickening of the trunk.
One that I have had in a pot for a while now, also has not
thickened. It also has fewer branches.

I'll probably end up digging them up and training them as some
sort of literati.

I'd not worry about any special handling. My GUESS is, though,
that since Rhus grow on the absolute poorest of soils they will
not take kindly to over fertilization.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++