Old 30-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Training Black Pine was growth retardant

Hopefully Brent or someone else with actual experience will answer this (or
correct me so that I don't kill a branch this spring)....

My understanding is that you can cut a healthy pine at ^b. As long as there
are green needles remaining, the branch can be cut and will produce buds -
there is always the hope (possibility) that you will get some dormant buds
to pop in the ^c area as well.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

snip

---*----*----*

^c ^b ^a
OK if the above is a pine branch and you are reading
right to left, with the right * being the tip, can you
cut only before the second node (represented by the *
and ^a )or can you actually cut at ^b if you have
needles below? I take it that cutting at ^c probably
will kill the branch unless there were needles below
that.

Kitsune Miko

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

At 12:30 PM 1/29/04 -0800, you wrote:
---*----*----*

^c ^b ^a
OK if the above is a pine branch and you are reading
right to left, with the right * being the tip, can you
cut only before the second node (represented by the *
and ^a )or can you actually cut at ^b if you have
needles below? I take it that cutting at ^c probably
will kill the branch unless there were needles below
that.

Kitsune Miko

Kitsune

Yes, you can cut at 'b' if the internode before it still has needles. In
some locations that have very long growing seasons, you may even have three
internodal areas with needles. As long as the remaining internodal section
still has needles, it is _generally_ safe to cut the node off. Before
someone lays a disaster at my door, let me add the disclaimer that this
usually, but not always, works. It is not a guaranteed thing, sometimes
they will indeed die. Timely cutting of very healthy trees increases your
chances of success. If you want to drastically increase your chances, or
this is a branch you can't possibly afford to lose, then leave the node.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

Old 30-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Kitsune Miko

I have pines in the ground that I was training to send
my son through college, (he is 33 and finished with
schooling. This project has been going on for 20 to
25 years). I was a beginner when I started this
project. It has been an interesting learning
experience. My successes and failures have all been
by trial and error.

I started with 2 year old bare root seedlings, cut
part of the tap root and just stuck them in the
ground. I fed randomly.

My pines are in clay soil that was well augmented to
be a vegtable garden, but I water with grey water ane
the ground has settled. The trees are not all
healthy.

When I cut back to needles without an internode below,
I get guaranteed die off. There is wonderful nebari
on these trees in the ground. I am thinking of
starting to dig them up, pot them for a coule of
years, and perhaps again augment the growing area,
dump the grey water elsewhere and see how it goes.

.....in my spare time between working full time and
also doing other arts.

Kitsune Miko
--- "Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL)"

*
and ^a )or can you actually cut at ^b if you have
needles below? I take it that cutting at ^c
probably
will kill the branch unless there were needles below
that.

Kitsune Miko

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc
Zimmerman++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

growth retardant umvoti Gardening 14 24-01-2004 08:02 PM
[IBC] Fw: growth retardant Jim Lewis Bonsai 25 23-01-2004 12:42 PM
[IBC] Training Black Pine was growth retardant Brent Walston Bonsai 0 22-01-2004 06:56 PM
[IBC] Training Black Pine was growth retardant Brent Walston Bonsai 0 22-01-2004 06:55 PM
growth retardant umvoti Gardening 0 21-01-2004 03:05 PM