Old 04-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Kevin

Default Black Pine cutting

I have a Nishiki Pine grown from a cutting. I have had it a couple of years
in a large pot and I plan in placing it in an even larger pot this spring.
I would like to do some root arrangment as well. I have read that pine
cuttings can be kind of weak. It's growth has been very good over the last
couple of years. I was wondering if anyone knows if these cutting pines are
more sensitive to root work than a regular pine? Which can be pretty
sensitive anyway.

Thanks

Kevin

Zone 6

Old 04-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Theo

HI Kevin

Kevin wrote:
I have a Nishiki Pine grown from a cutting. I have had it a couple of years
in a large pot and I plan in placing it in an even larger pot this spring.
I would like to do some root arrangment as well. I have read that pine
cuttings can be kind of weak. It's growth has been very good over the last
couple of years. I was wondering if anyone knows if these cutting pines are
more sensitive to root work than a regular pine? Which can be pretty
sensitive anyway.

I have a litttle Japanese book I boughz 25 years ago author Kyuzo
Murata and in the chapter about Black pines at the the very end mentions
just that Nishiki Matsu should be grown as a Black pine and* start
with a grafted tree or a cutting *
about transplnnting ( Black pine ) it states * at first the tree
should be transplanted every 3 years, but after the initial
period,transplanting should be done every 4-5 years , The proper times
when new buds come out. as for tehs oil should be red clay and cosrse
sand and mixed in the proportion of 7-3 respectively..
It is just one page in English in case you wish to have it I can scan
and forward

let me know either here or at my private address
I had a Nishiki in the very beginning and it was a 10 " tall one..
but did not survive , very slow growth , i remember that I repotted so
probably I did not do it in the right period and way and my knowledge
about pines by then was very poor too
Pines are very fuzzy.. actually I love mid -May as repotting time and
rainy weather periods plus I look at the ascending moon..
it seems it works
Theo

Thanks

Kevin