Old 25-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] moss spores?

Moss dehydrates very well- it isn't dead, just sleeping. It's easier to crumble it into tiny pieces when it's dry.

Nina

I wasnt aware until Billy mentioned it that all you need to do is get moss,
dry it out and the crumple and spread around on the soil.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-02-2004, 01:12 AM
Bill Sikes

Hi, Mike!

there is a web site for a company in Texas called Dallas Bonsai Gardens that
sells all kinds of things for bonsai. Among these items is one called
"Kyoto Moss Spores." This moss becomes very velvety and dark green as it
grows. About 5 years ago, I bought three small packs and sprinkled them
around in some of my bonsai. It took off a little slowly, but to this day,
I still have it growing around in my yard and pots. It is quite unlike any
other moss that grows in my area; it is especially pretty in the spring,
winter and fall.

Bill Sikes
South Georgia, USA USDA Zone 8b
sunset Zone 27

Old 26-02-2004, 11:03 AM
treebeard@libero

hi all, I'm new here,
just a question about moss...
....how long it takes to grow? (I'm doing some experiment with crumpled moss without success)
thanks

Andrea
\\\///
[^_^]

Old 26-02-2004, 02:19 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Good Morning Folks,

the trick is find moss growing in similar conditions to
your trees.In my case I needed a moss that handled
light shade and not too much water.

The light shade comes from the canopy of the Bonsai/
Penjing.All of my early attempts failed,because none of
my trees had proper canopies.

Later when I did find 3 different mosses,which I call
lawn type,bushy type and unmanageable type,it took a
little while to learn how to grow them.

The Japanese suggest a fine layer of soil over the surface
for the moss to hold/survive on.

Since I still use compost/manure in my mixes I didn't need
the above.

However,I did have to learn to go around [depending on
speed of coverage by the moss - lawn type],to pull out
American quarter [25 cents] sized pieces or I would
begin a slime growth or die-back.

Now the lawn type is every where and has to be toothbrushed
off of the bark of the trees.

At repotting time I lift off the sheet type covering,flatten it and
tear it into pieces,replacing American quarter sized pieces
here and there.Less usually works better.

Then there are the birds.......
Each tree of Bonsai/Penjing quality has a sheet of fibreglass
mosquito screen over the surface to stop a certain very small
blue-black with white spots little hopper who loves to rake the
"lawns".Guess it's the possibility of worms??
Hopes this helps.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean]

Old 27-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Shelly Hurd

Mike,
I keep mine in a brown bag, in the garage with my excess gardening things. When I need it, I just crumble or chop it up -very fine- and spread it around. Brown bags breathe, unlike plastic. And yes, it turns brown.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 29-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Pat Patterson

G'day all...

Growing moss in Southern Arizona?

They said it couldn't be done...well, they were wrong!

If you create the proper environment, as has already been stated, you can grow
moss...even in Tucson.

However, in Tucson, you may have to mist the moss three or more times a day
without overwatering your bonsai...and this may be unmanageable for most of us.

As for me, I don't use moss. From my experience, in Northern Calif, Southern
Calif and Southern Arizona, there just are not many trees that have a lush
carpet of moss (or even "lawn") under them, in their native environment.

I prefer a topping of sand or lava...much more natural.

Have a good day...

Pat

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'

Old 03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Mike

Old 03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Moss grows fairly quickly, but keep in mind that it has a complicated life-cycle. When you crumple it up and sprinkle it on soil, the part that starts to grow is the protonema (greek for "before thread"), tiny green strands that thread their way through t
he soil. If you've ever noticed how moss makes soil less permeable to water, it's because these threads tie all the soil grains together and clog all the airspaces. Once these threads become established, they start sending up the little green "trees" we
think of as moss. But if conditions aren't right (too dry, or not enough relative humidity), the protonemal stage will grow indefinitely. I've mentioned that when I was collecting samples of agricultural soils, sieving them, and looking for powdery milde
w structures under the microscope, I'd commonly see moss protonemata, and I would never see mature moss in agricultural situations. The moss just waits and waits.

So if you crumpled moss into the soil of, say, an indoor bonsai, you might never see mature moss unless environmental conditions changed.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Nina Shishkoff

I have moss drying out right now, in a window sill do i wait until its
brown or just dry? its pretty green right now?

A good, dry moss should be green. Turning brown is a bad sign that it didn't dry fast enough, and something rotted it.

Nina

In case you're wondering, I spent time as an undergraduate studying bryology and making moss herbarium specimens.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Follow-up on Moss Spores Bill Sikes Bonsai 0 26-02-2004 02:31 AM
[IBC] Follow-up on Moss Spores Bill Sikes Bonsai 0 26-02-2004 02:26 AM
moss spores? Mike Bonsai 1 25-02-2004 04:07 AM
moss spores? Mike Bonsai 0 24-02-2004 04:04 PM
which medium is best for mushroom spores Pat London United Kingdom 1 02-03-2003 01:18 PM