Old 08-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] a little venting

I sympathize. Hopefully, you got it back into a pot in time to save the
tree. Now you will have to figure out how to redesign it. We finally had
some nice weather last week (of course it is now snowing again) and I went
out to check my grow beds. Nearly every one of my collected trees are now
budless. Some critter (chipmunk, squirrel, deer, rabbit) or combination has
chomped almost every branck back to the point where there are no visible
buds left! It's nearly enough to make me want to go get a varmint gun.
Now, of course, all of my carefully laid styling plans are out the window.
My only hope is that, since everything is still dormant, they will survive
and put out new buds. At best - I've been set back a year. Can anyone tell
me what the survival chances are for an American Beech (trunk is 3-4"
diameter)? I had a new leader and first branch picked out and was planning
to do the chop when I made my discovery.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39 - where I am looking at 4" inches of snow on