Old 07-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Lisa Miller

Default [IBC] a little venting

Hi everyone,
Pardon my venting, but I had to tell some people who can really understand.
I came home from work last night (after a particularly lousy week too) only
to find my best tree, a beautiful Chinese Elm, sitting in the kitchen
sink...sans pot. It had been significantly damaged. This is the first tree
that I've ever been able to keep alive for a significant length of time. And
it had been thriving. I was so excited to see it begin to come to leaf this
spring. It didn't take much examination and a pathetic look on my dogs'
faces to figure out what had happened. I had just put the tree back in its
usual spot from its wintering spot a few days earlier. The temps have gotten
so much better, I was letting my tree get some sun. Well, it got more than
just sun.

I repotted the tree, but it looks just awful. There was really bad damage to
the tree limbs and roots. Apparently it made quite a chew toy for the dogs.
It's funny (sad really) they've never show even the slighted interest in any
of my trees, plants or flowers in the past.

Have any of you ever brought back a tree after serious animal-inflicted
damage?

thanks for listening,
Lisa Miller
Westmnster, MD
zone 6/7

Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech
Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem with the dog(s)... Makes you want to
have BBQ. While our dogs don't temper with the few bonsai I have (still
rebuilding a collection from my trans-oceanic move), they have taken to eat
tomatoes off the vine just as they ripen :-0

This damage to the tree is bad, but you can view this as an exercise in
re-styling. You've been able to keep the tree thriving, this is good. I
know several folks who've had damage done by wind/ice, etc. Just extended
your process a couple years :-)

Good luck

Nic

Old 07-03-2004, 01:26 AM
kevin bailey

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Hi Lisa,

Most of us have experienced animal inflicted damage to our trees, but
canines are not usually the culprits. Aphids and caterpillars can be
just as testing.

The restyling by nature will probably only be a minor setback. Chinese
Elm are vigorous and tough plants. Keep your routine going. If they've
lost much branching, it'll need less water for a while.

Given a rapid repot it will probably be fine. Give it time and you might
even find that it develops as a better tree.

Kev Bailey
Zone 9 Wales UK

---

Old 07-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Jim Lewis

[...]

If it's not dogs, it's (cover up your ears, Nina!) squirrels, or
chipmunks, or (if they're on the ground) armadillo or rabbits.
We've all -- or at least many of us have -- had things like that
happen. A few years ago, a squirrel next -- complete with mama
and 5-6 babies -- fell on top of my wife's azalea and a crape
myrtle. Both were significantly "restyled" and both have
recovered nicely -- the azalea better than the crape myrtle.

Your immediate chore is as a tree nurse. Hope that the roots
didn't dry out too much. Broken branches should be cut cleanly
and covered with cut paste, if you believe in the stuff.

While it's on the mend, you need to look at it carefully from all
sides; often you'll find a new front, a new tree, and new ideas
out of disaster. Maybe by NEXT spring you will be ready to do
the redesign that has come to you in a burst of light during the
interim. Meanwhile, since it sounds like this was THE tree in
your household, you need to get one or two other trees. Work on
them, instead of loving the injured one to death.

And Good Luck. You may end up with a better tree.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 07-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 3/6/2004 7:34:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Given a rapid repot it will probably be fine. Give it time and you might
even find that it develops as a better tree.

Based on what the original post said I think we should give the traditional
warning about having the tree outside as much as possible.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

Old 08-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Steve wachs

Elms are tough. The dog was just rying to be helpful. Other than redesigning your tree , the tree should not be hampered ny the incident. Chinese Elms develop new trees from just the roots. It's hard to kill a Chinese Elm.
SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 08-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

I sympathize. Hopefully, you got it back into a pot in time to save the
tree. Now you will have to figure out how to redesign it. We finally had
some nice weather last week (of course it is now snowing again) and I went
out to check my grow beds. Nearly every one of my collected trees are now
budless. Some critter (chipmunk, squirrel, deer, rabbit) or combination has
chomped almost every branck back to the point where there are no visible
buds left! It's nearly enough to make me want to go get a varmint gun.
Now, of course, all of my carefully laid styling plans are out the window.
My only hope is that, since everything is still dormant, they will survive
and put out new buds. At best - I've been set back a year. Can anyone tell
me what the survival chances are for an American Beech (trunk is 3-4"
diameter)? I had a new leader and first branch picked out and was planning
to do the chop when I made my discovery.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39 - where I am looking at 4" inches of snow on