Old 12-02-2004, 03:43 AM
Lori Siegmund

Default GH Venting vs. Exhaust Fan w/ shutters???

Another question related to venting.... the gh model I am getting (15'
x 16') has four roof vents and four side vents. Each vent is 1.5' x 4'
in size and weighs less than 8 lbs. with the polycarbonate, I believe.
I am mounting this gh on a 2' concrete base wall. The max height
inside the
gh will be 10.5' since it will be on the base wall. The side walls
will now be 8' instead of 6'.

Do you think the roof and side vents with the solar-powered openers
along with good circulation fans throughout will be enough? Or,should
I also install intake shutters and an exhaust fan as my primary
venting and use the roof and side vents as secondary or backup for if
and when I might lose electricity?

Keep in mind I live about two miles from the coast. It rarely gets
above 85 degrees here and that is on a rare day. Coastal fog in the
AM and PM most days. Any thoughts?

Lori
Santa Cruz, CA
Old 12-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Ray

There are pluses and minuses to each.

The roof vents work without electricity, so are great to save money, and if
there's a power loss, as you stated. If you are using shade cloth inside
the GH, they also vent away the heat from where it collects - above the
cloth.

I have always preferred the powered ventilation for a couple of reasons - 1)
it gives me more positive control of the ventilation, as I can adjust
thermostats the way I want them (In my GH, one thermostat opens the inlet
and outlet shutters when the inside temp gets to about 70ºF, allowing some
outside air exchange, but the big exhaust fan - controlled by a different
thermostat, doesn't come on until about 85°.), and 2) The shutters can be
covered with screen to exclude insects, a task not easily done with most
roof vents.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 12-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Pat Brennan

Ditto to what Ray said with two additional thoughts.

1. Are you going to get the right air flow with the side vents over two
feet high in the side wall? This configuration may result with most of the
air moving from side vent to roof vent both of which are higher than your
benches and plants. It is nice to have the plants in the direct path of the
air flow, but I do not know if it is necessary.

2. If you find you need to add cooling, the side/roof vents may be very
hard to retrofit with a swamp cooler. Do other orchid growers in your area
use swamp coolers?

Pat

Old 12-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Wendy

Hi Lori, Sounds like you have ideal temps in your area?
I have 4 roof vent windows, 2 with the Bayliss openers.
as I also run a Southern Burner gas heater with a chimney, to keep
my temp above 58dgs.
In the beginning of summer I turn on my swamp cooler which is on a timer
& thermostat. The cooler also brings in fresh air during the rest of the
year.

I found this url & wished I'd had Internet access back when we started
this hobby. (great info here)
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/guide2.shtml

Do you know someone in your neighborhood that has a g/h,
you could get tips from?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

:

Old 15-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Lori Siegmund

Ray, Pat and Wendy,

Thanks for your input related to my questions. All good things to
consider!
I never really thought about the venting issues that my proposed
configuration presents (putting the gh on a 2' base wall.). I may
have to re-think how I do that.

I had checked out the littlegreenhouse.com web site and yes! they are
fantastic!

I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Lori