Old 11-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] The ULTIMATE malsai

Did you notice who Bonsai Tree Plants is an authorized dealer
for??
Look in small letters at the bottom of the page.??
Regards,
Dale

Yeah. BBNY has a number of "agents." Prolly the same stuff sold
at different websites just to pull in suckers. Like Michigan
Bulbs, et. al.

Pretty sad commentary on . . . . something.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who suspects
that "There's one born every minute" has multiplied by a factor
of 10 by now.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Theo

Hi
even in garden centers the basic stock has gone down in quality and
higher in price, most of it is also badly grafted
For a bushy palmatum maple that will take at least 5 years to get
something just acceptable out of it prices are over 100 us $ 4 ft
tall but 1 1/2 ft only almost useful for bonsai
3 years ago the same material but of bettter quality was about 35 us$
a Kohime maple probably from Korea almost 2 ft tall horrid
neabari and badly cut and transpoded fron fields last year in a
bonsai terrine is from 350 us$ on, so many peple switched on to basic
stock and prices rose ..
but still ,sometimes is possible to find something but is the best
of the worse :-) available ..
Theo

--
EU Zone 7 GE (CH)
S.O.S.Bonsai online @ : or ICQ

Old 11-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Willem Carstens

The trend here in South Africa seems to be "lollipop" trees from the normal
nurseries.

The tree is stripped of the bottom 2 thirds of branches and foliage,so that
you are
only left with a long trunk with a little foliage at the top.Very
fustrating.

Regards
Willem Carstens
Johannesburg

Old 11-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Ummm. Everyone talking about lollipops and bad grafts as typical
malsai. Those are "normal" malsai.

I wonder. Are you missing the point? The tree in the picture
was DEAD. It is going to STAY dead (and presumably green?). And
they're selling it that way -- and for more than pocket change.

Look again: http://bonsaitreeplants.com/product.php/p1319.html
:-)

This is a bonsai that you CAN put on your piano -- or on the
mantle.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Or maybe I'm
beating a dead horse . . . and only Dale and I think this is an
awful practice.

Old 11-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

So THAT is what I can do with the trees I kill! I guess that can also be an
alternative suggestion for newbies that have a dead mallsai...spray that
sucker with liquid plastic and stop worrying about water or light!

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 13-03-2004, 09:35 PM
james rogers

Hines Nursery was selling Topiary trees ( mainly Junipers ) as indoor
and patio plants. Spireled, pom pom etc As I remember they were
injected with some kind of silicone material and lasted several years .
They were very expensive. Expensive by my standards at least. I am not
sure but I thought they quit because they started selling the unsold
trees live to retail nurseries a few years ago. I know that my nursery
carried them for a few years. Lots of unusual shapes but no Bonsai
stuff AFAIK

Jungle Jim
On Mar 11, 2004, at 3:21 PM, dalecochoy wrote:

BTW, Jim, the preserved ones I saw ten or more years ago or so in a
gift
shop in Savanna, Ga. waterfront. They were "injected" while still
alive
with something. Foliage was an un-natural green/blue after that. I am
PRETTY
SURE I remember the explanation tag said they were done by
Weyerhauser.
This was, of course, before they started the bonsai museum there. I
wonder if anyone can remember these and WHO IT IS that is making them
now
for the group in the ad Jim posted, and what are they injected with,
or, are
they sprayed now? Inquiring minds want to know :)
Dale

*********
++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
*********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 14-03-2004, 05:05 PM
dalecochoy

So THAT is what I can do with the trees I kill! I guess that can also be

an
alternative suggestion for newbies that have a dead mallsai...spray that
sucker with liquid plastic and stop worrying about water or light!

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Several years ago I was approached by a couple at a bonsai convention
wanting me to send them dead bonsai trunks. They would pay for them!!!!!!.
The name of their business was "Forever Bonsai" I think. ( Not to be
confused with the nice soapstone carved trees a friend of mine does)
They took dead trees still intact and attached silk leaves, flowers, etc and
potted/sold them. They showed me some in car trunk they had done. They
looked quite a bit like the Chinese ones you see. I wonder if they are still
around. I gave them a few names of better prospects to call. Haven't ever
seen them again.

Old 14-03-2004, 05:08 PM
dalecochoy

Old 14-03-2004, 05:08 PM