Old 12-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] emergency repot

I made a mistake by not checking the roots of my shimpaku juniper this
winter. I checked it now, and it seems that it needed to be repotted. I
would go as far to say it is rootbound, but it could be in a matter of time.
The rootball is full of healthy, fiberous roots, but not much soil seems to
be left for another whole year. Its too late to repot it, but i was
wondering if it would be safe to cut off a small section of the bottom, and
fill the remaining part of the container with soil, just so it can last
spring, summer, and fall without going rootbound. Would doing this hust the
tree, considering its been like summer for the past week? It seems like
winter seems is over for sure. If i did cut some roots, and added soil,
would it help the tree last another year without running into the problems
with being root bound? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks, Colin
Horn San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 3 months for the price of 1!
(Limited-time Offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Is it really too late to repot in the SF area?

Anyway, being rootbound isn't fatal. You can safely leave it in
its rootbound condition for several years, you just need to make
CERTAIN it gets enough water, and fertilize it by immersion.

Easiest way to take care of a late discovery of too many roots,
of course, if to plop it into a larger pot for a year until you
feel it is OK to repot.

HOWEVER, I can't believe that mid March is too late in your area.
It wouldn't be too late in MY area and I'm a heckuva lot warmer
than SF.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-03-2004, 03:26 AM
Colin Horn

From: "Jim Lewis"
To: "Colin Horn" M
Subject: [IBC] emergency repot
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:03:27 -0500

[...]

For the pasat week and a half, the temperature has been about 80 degrees, a
couple days even warmer. THis may just be a phase that will pass, but all my
other bonsai have reacted vigorisly, putting out new growth very quickly.
But any way, thanks for the help. Ill consider putting it into a larger pot,
and hopefully your right, it isnt too late to repot. - Colin Horn San
Francisco Bay Area, CA

Old 12-03-2004, 03:26 AM
Colin Horn

Old 12-03-2004, 03:57 AM
Kitsune Miko

Colin,
I live on the SF Peninsula and I haven't repotted all
my junipers yet. I plan one for a demo at the end of
the month, in fact.

I would cut off the rootbound sides and bottom enough
to get new soil in between the pot and the roots. Or
even do that and pot up for a year.

Kitsune Miko
--- Colin Horn wrote:
[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken
Rutledge++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 12-03-2004, 05:46 AM
Alan Walker

Good grief, Colin! It's March! Plenty of warm weather ahead for your
juniper to recover from repotting. Summery weather is a good thing.
This is the time of year that any temperate plant can be
repotted. And evergreens, like junipers and pines, are usually last in
line to repot anyway, since they don't have to waste energy with new
leaves needing to harden off.
You just don't want to repot too late in the year when the tree
hasn't enough warm weather before dormancy to adapt to the disturbance
of repotting.
Alan Walker
I made a mistake by not checking the roots of my shimpaku juniper this
winter. I checked it now, and it seems that it needed to be
repotted. I would go as far to say it is rootbound, but it could be in a
matter of time.
The rootball is full of healthy, fiberous roots, but not much soil seems
to be left for another whole year. It's too late to repot it, but I was
wondering if it would be safe to cut off a small section of the bottom,
and fill the remaining part of the container with soil, just so it can
last spring, summer, and fall without going rootbound. Would doing this
hurt the tree, considering its been like summer for the past week? It

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
[IBC] emergency root prune/repot [email protected] Bonsai 2 09-05-2005 08:31 PM
[IBC] emergency repot Colin Horn Bonsai 0 12-03-2004 01:29 AM
[IBC] emergency spruce repot ! Robert O'Brien Bonsai 0 26-06-2003 11:44 AM