Old 14-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Archives (was: Collecting)

I was going to suggest referring to the FAQ which should be much
more efficient than scouring the archives. (The IBC FAQ can be found at
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/faq.php.)
However, I just took a look, and it seems that much of the FAQ
is missing. For example, I know that I was part of a committee (with
Jim, Kevin, Reiner, Anton and some others) who debated a good while on
just how to present that material in terms of language, priorities and
emphasis. Apparently all reference to collecting has been deleted from
the FAQ. Does anyone know what happened to it and how it could be
restored?
The FAQ we have posted right now just seems pretty anemic,
especially considering all the effort given to it in past years.
Alan Walker
Old 14-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Alan Walker

===============
Questions you suspect may be in the beat-to-death category may be
answered by reviewing our archives, accessed through the address
below.
Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

However, I just took a look, and it seems that much of the FAQ
is missing. For example, I know that I was part of a committee (with
Jim, Kevin, Reiner, Anton and some others) who debated a good while on
just how to present that material in terms of language, priorities and
emphasis. Apparently all reference to collecting has been deleted from
the FAQ. Does anyone know what happened to it and how it could be
restored?
The FAQ we have posted right now just seems pretty anemic,
especially considering all the effort given to it in past years.

The committee you mention is not something I was involved with. I assume
that it was organised during the period where I had stepped off as
webmaster, for about 12-18 months until last June or so.

I have not seen any remodelled FAQ, and have taken the material I inherited
when I first picked up the IBC site, approximately 4 years ago. I don't
have any new material.

In my latest revision of the site, I let go a few things from the FAQ, since
they were redundant and included the material in more appropriate places
(i.e. books when in book reviews). Some things were more article than quick
Q&A's (which I think is more along the lines of FAQ, though I may be wrong
here.

I would be glad to add to the FAQ with new material. Feel free to submit
things to me.

Nic

Old 14-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Alan Walker

Nic: These items predated your term as webmaster. I believe Bill Herr
was webmaster at the time, 5-6 years ago.
If you deleted anything that looked more like an article, then a
lot was certainly deleted. I know that the collecting FAQ we sweated
over was relatively lengthy, as it deserves in my opinion. I disagree
that FAQ items should always be brief, although I agree that we should
strive to distill the essentials.
A good FAQ should be fairly easy to search and cover all the
major areas of inquiry. Not an easy task to produce. It should also
have a quality review periodically (at least every couple of years)
which updates and corrects any errors or omissions.
Maybe we can relocate some of these old items and reassess.
Alan Walker
SNIP However, I just took a look, and it seems that much of
+++++++++++++++

Old 14-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Jim Lewis

I think I _should_ still have the revisions on record Nic.
I'll have a
dig around -oops no pun intended ;-)

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

I still have it and will forward it to Nic. I would have SWORN
it was one of two articles on collecting in our knowledge base,
and that I read it there not long ago, but the only one there now
is mine. :=X

Anyway, it is a good, balanced article and should be put back up
and I'll send it on to Nic.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature