Old 21-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Henrik Gistvall

Default [IBC] Aliette & pentaphilla

I would not blame the pot. I have a Scots pine that I recived as a gift
with serious root rot. This tree is getting better and sits in a drum
pot. I even think itīs better with such a small pot that dries up
rapidly. I think you rushed it, putting it in a such small pot direct
from a wooden box.

Itīs not strange that the mychorizza was missing from this part.
Mychorizza can help to protect the roots from rot. But remember
mychorizza only lives in the tips of the roots. After heavy rootpruning
you will lose it. On your tree the roots have started to rot, probably
from too much water or that the tree got weak from the tough repotting,
and the mychorizza didnīt have a chance to establish it self in this part.

IMHO pure akadama is to wet for a pine, you need to mix in some grit.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Theo wrote:

Hi
I realized yesterdy that suddenly few clusters of a pentaphilla
has turned yellow..
so I had a suspicion that might be a root decay.. and it was ..

a part of the root pad was black and hollow ( the bottom part
a part was still alive
after cleaning it I potted in a wooden box with akadama alone & I
gave Aliette
does anyone knows how long it will take to know it has worked or not
?( what a sill question !)probaly if candles will elongate and open I
guess ...

This plant has been previously in a wooden box for 4 years and was
wealthy and had a wonderful micorrhize
I had it repotted in september in a drum pot..( bloody unecessary
rush )
That drum pot already killed another pentaphilla the same way 5
years ago ..

it has not been used since and has been washed and disinfecetd with
chlorine
I wonder if the inward-lipped drums pots are not very suitable
for pines
the michorize was missing in the root decay zone

any information will be helpful
thanks
Theo

--

or ICQ 25 666 169 4

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits."
-Albert Einstein

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 21-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Theo

Hi Henrik

Henrik Gistvall wrote:

I would not blame the pot. I have a Scots pine that I recived as a gift
with serious root rot. This tree is getting better and sits in a drum
pot. I even think itīs better with such a small pot that dries up
rapidly. I think you rushed it, putting it in a such small pot direct
from a wooden box.

HI it has already been in a wooden box for 5 years about and it was
perfectly ok maybe the pot was too deep
I think this pot has something wrong just one huge central hole
and inlipped rims dims the evaporation
I had exactly the same problem with the same pot
I have two others penta and they are fine

Itīs not strange that the mychorizza was missing from this part.
Mychorizza can help to protect the roots from rot. But remember
mychorizza only lives in the tips of the roots. After heavy rootpruning
you will lose it. On your tree the roots have started to rot, probably
from too much water or that the tree got weak from the tough repotting,

I normally take a part of the old soil with michozziza and add to
the new soil , I have been careful with water but I did repot it in
sept maybe it was a wrong moment

and the mychorizza didnīt have a chance to establish it self in this part.

probably you are right

IMHO pure akadama is to wet for a pine, you need to mix in some grit.

I always use Akadama with Penta
thankds for your information
Theo

************************************************ ********************************

Old 22-03-2004, 05:05 AM
Nina Shishkoff

Just a reminder that Aliette is used for Oomycetes; if the root rot is
caused by other fungi, it won't do much good. Always read the label
before using a pesticide, or you may be wasting money and exposing
yourself and the environment needlessly.

Nina

Old 22-03-2004, 05:21 AM
Nina Shishkoff

Just a reminder that Aliette is used for Oomycetes; if the root rot is
caused by other fungi, it won't do much good. Always read the label
before using a pesticide, or you may be wasting money and exposing
yourself and the environment needlessly.

Nina

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Aliette & pentaphilla Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 11:23 AM
Aliette & pentaphilla Theo Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 07:12 AM
[IBC] Aliette and Pentaphilla? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 3 11-02-2004 04:00 PM
Aliette and Pentaphilla? Theo Bonsai 0 11-02-2004 07:04 AM
[IBC] Help Pentaphilla repotting Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 14-04-2003 10:08 PM