Old 26-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] On the bushy appearance of Japanese Bonsai-at times.

Good Day to All,

Hmmm,I hope I can state this clearly.

In my search for species of tree or shrub that
could densify through well placed branchlet or
leaf and at the same time look like a miniature
tree[if a big tree were hit with a shrinking ray
and I am not touching on the more complex ideas
of sculpture or philosophy in Bonsai/Penjing.]

I noted that often apart from the outline of a tree
the exterior mass also has dips [valleys]and
mounds[hills],so there is movement in the leafy
green canopy.Seen easily in a mature mango tree.

So if you wanted to go past the 1,2,3 of branch
placement and cloud like foliage pads or domes,
the above would be the next step.

This is where the bushy appearance comes in.
Only a bushy bonsai can do this,but it requires
more pruning and awareness of design to do this.
Just a raw idea I trying to pass on.
Apologies if I have once again confused the group.
Khaimraj
West Indies[Caribbean]

* I would estimate your viewing a 30 to 50'[say
10 to 16 m]tree from about 100'[34m] away or
enough to see from where the trunk hits the soil
to the top of the tree in one look.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 3/26/2004 9:24:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

I noted that often apart from the outline of a tree
the exterior mass also has dips [valleys]and
mounds[hills],so there is movement in the leafy
green canopy.Seen easily in a mature mango tree.

Khaimraj:

I believe your perception is correct.

A current example is my Panther that recently appeared in Bonsai Today (89). The was extremely unhealthy when acquired, restored to health, and given its basic styling. You will notice that the tree is now ready for a major styling and refinement.

The reference is drawn because each of the large shelves will now be converted into subelements or subclouds of growth. In a sense, many additional sublevels will be created, the movement of the trunk will be revealed by reducing interior foliage, and the
left side of the tree will be substantially altered to add additional movement to the tree.

This second stage will be completed this summer. If you have a tree that warrants analysis, please send me a copy for virtual design, and I will post it for group discussion.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: