Old 17-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Alan

Default Water has milky appearance

Hi

We have a pond which ha been self sustaining for twenty years. No
filters or pumps, just pond plants and regular cleaning out of debris.
The fish are healthy and we have only ever lost one occasionally to
what we have assumed to be old age!.

The water has recently turned a milky colour and this has not happened
before. The fish seem OK but is there anything I should be doing to
correct this?.

Alan
Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Alan,

You might contact KoiDave who asked about closed cycle ponds (8/17/03
10:54AM)

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
om...

Old 17-08-2003, 11:12 PM

this is usually biobugs looking for a home. sounds like something trashed your
biofilter. or, somebody dumped a ton of calcium in there. what are your water
quality parameters, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH? Ingrid

(Alan) wrote:

Hi

We have a pond which ha been self sustaining for twenty years. No
filters or pumps, just pond plants and regular cleaning out of debris.
The fish are healthy and we have only ever lost one occasionally to
what we have assumed to be old age!.

The water has recently turned a milky colour and this has not happened
before. The fish seem OK but is there anything I should be doing to
correct this?.

Alan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 18-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Sam Hopkins

If it's milky white it's a bacteria bloom. These are millions if not
billions of free floating bacteria. As soon as they use up the nutrients
they should clear. There's "text book" concern that your fish will be under
stress because the bacteria utilize O2. I've personally never seen it kill a
fish though.

Old 19-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Alan

"Alan" wrote in message
om...
Hi

We have a pond which ha been self sustaining for twenty years. No
filters or pumps, just pond plants and regular cleaning out of debris.
The fish are healthy and we have only ever lost one occasionally to
what we have assumed to be old age!.

The water has recently turned a milky colour and this has not happened
before. The fish seem OK but is there anything I should be doing to
correct this?.

Alan

Thanks to you all for the replies. The pond has no filters and I have
never tested the water. I clean it by removing vigorous plant growth
two or three times a year and by 'dredging' the sludge out once a
year. As I said the pond apperas healthy and the fish OK and they have
bred. I will have to get a testing kit and take more interest rather
than just enjoying watching the fish!!.

Thanks again

Alan