Old 26-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] root grafts on maple

I've got a fat old red maple (acer rubrum) that needs some nebari
development. There are a ton of maple seedlings in the church yard next
door (my church) and I'm not sure if they're red maple or sugar maple.
Is it possible to do a graft such as this with different species?
Thanks.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-03-2004, 04:53 PM
Jerry Meislik

Craig,
If you do not use the same species, and sometimes even if you do, the bark
will not match on the roots.
If possible use seedlings whose bark matches or grow some plants from
cuttings of the bonsai tree, then the bark will match exactly.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/