Old 14-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Registered User

Default Where To Find Japanese Maple Grafts???

Hi,

I am attempting to begin my own business buying and selling Japanese Maples. I have found someone that is providing me with these for £6.50, but she has only a limited number of varieties. Does anyone know where in the UK i can get small grafted Japanese Maples for minimum and/or wholesale price?

Any help would be great!

Kind Regards,
Antony

P.S. I've am growing on seeds now for grafting in the future, but even then, i need to buy all the varieties in order to get selling efficiently. This is a future plan, but for now, i need the above!
Old 15-06-2012, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/14/2012 08:02 PM, Antony_AJL wrote:
Hi,

I am attempting to begin my own business buying and selling Japanese
Maples. I have found someone that is providing me with these for £6.50,
but she has only a limited number of varieties. Does anyone know where
in the UK i can get small grafted Japanese Maples for minimum and/or
wholesale price?

Any help would be great!

Kind Regards,
Antony

P.S. I've am growing on seeds now for grafting in the future, but even
then, i need to buy all the varieties in order to get selling
efficiently. This is a future plan, but for now, i need the above!

Good luck, it's a tough business. The best quality young grafts
available come from http://www.dvandermaat.com/ Another source is
http://www.esveld.nl, that is where the maples they sell at Wisley come
from. Both these sources work industrially and can provide you with any
quantities.

Graft quality and understock quality is equally important. Those easy
to germinate, fast growing Sango kaku seeds will not necessarily make
good understock as they are quite susceptible to pseudomonas infection,
for example.

There is no such thing as "all the varieties" as there are well over
1000 and "new" ones are appearing all the time.

You could contact the Maple Society for information if anyone in the UK
is producing a large number of grafts, or Karan Junker (Junker Nursery)
or James Harris (Mallet Court Nursery), both in Taunton, would be able
to tell you.

Old 15-06-2012, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/06/2012 08:45, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

You could do worse than visit The National Plant show the HTA National
Plant Show website.
It's a trade show but you might make contacts there.
David
Old 16-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post
On 06/14/2012 08:02 PM, Antony_AJL wrote:
Hi,

I am attempting to begin my own business buying and selling Japanese
Maples. I have found someone that is providing me with these for £6.50,
but she has only a limited number of varieties. Does anyone know where
in the UK i can get small grafted Japanese Maples for minimum and/or
wholesale price?

Any help would be great!

Kind Regards,
Antony

P.S. I've am growing on seeds now for grafting in the future, but even
then, i need to buy all the varieties in order to get selling
efficiently. This is a future plan, but for now, i need the above!

Good luck, it's a tough business. The best quality young grafts
available come from Dick van der Maat - Japanese Maple Nursery Another source is
Plantentuin Esveld - www.esveld.nl, that is where the maples they sell at Wisley come
from. Both these sources work industrially and can provide you with any
quantities.

Graft quality and understock quality is equally important. Those easy
to germinate, fast growing Sango kaku seeds will not necessarily make
good understock as they are quite susceptible to pseudomonas infection,
for example.

There is no such thing as "all the varieties" as there are well over
1000 and "new" ones are appearing all the time.

You could contact the Maple Society for information if anyone in the UK
is producing a large number of grafts, or Karan Junker (Junker Nursery)
or James Harris (Mallet Court Nursery), both in Taunton, would be able
to tell you.
Thank you very much! Will have a browse now
Old 16-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
[...]

Thank you David, will have a check now!