Old 28-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Ulli

Default [IBC] Zelkova backbudding

Sure, you could cut all the branches and your Zelkova would bud out; but
here's an idea that you might use. If you can find some slender and
flexible branches, drill holes through the trunk in appropriate places,

and
thread those branches through. Then close up the holes with cut paste.
Leave the remaining branches for a few years as they will help the trunk

thicken. Then remove the unwanted branches and the unwanted part of the
threaded branches.
Marty

Thanks, Marty, but I'm afraid that won't work - the branches weren't long
enough. However, on closer examination I saw that the plant was putting out
new buds left and right although it must have been exposed to adverse
conditions during the last few weeks. It looked so vigorous that I decided
to cut it back real hard and put it in a bright place.

I've read that Zelkova is entirely hardy to my zone, but as this one has
been at a heated mall I'll put it gradually outside, as temps still go below
freezing at night. For now it's sitting in a warm room in a window facing
south-east, but will go into the (unheated) greenhouse next week. As soon as
there's no more danger of frost it'll go outside and stay there.

Does this plan sound about right to you all?

Thanks for your help
Ulrike Bauer
South Germany, zone 7b

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++