Old 15-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Podocarpus backbudding query

I have a Podocarpus backbudding question.

This winter, I dug a large Podocarpus from S-central
Florida. I say large -- it is about 6 inches taller than my
3-year-old granddaughter (who is small). Otherwise I
haven't measured it. It is all Jackie and I can do to move
it (an indication that if I bring it into some semblance of
bonsai-hood, I won't have it long).

Anyway, it was a hedge plant, and all of its copious growth
was at the ends of fairly long branches. Before I dug it, I
cut it way back and let it sit for 3-4 months, but nothing
much sprouted in the opened-up plant. I cut as much more as
I could while still leaving leaves when I dug it.

After a hard, cold (for a warmlands tree) winter up here in
N. Fla. it is SLOWLY showing some buds and new growth, but
it's all on the ends of branches. That's goo, but I need
them to backbud closer to the trunk because as-is, the tree
is way too leggy.

Do I just wait?

Can I completely defoliate or prune to old wood and expect
new growth?

If that is possible, I assume a year's wait would be
advisable to let it fully recover from the shock of a
300-mile move to the north.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of
nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the
berries are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Zelkova backbudding Ulli Bonsai 0 28-03-2004 09:12 AM
[IBC] Zelcova backbudding Ulli Bauer Bonsai 1 27-03-2004 08:13 PM
[IBC] podocarpus bonsai - is it dead? Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 21-09-2003 05:12 PM
[IBC] Podocarpus Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 30-06-2003 01:21 AM
[IBC] pinus strobus backbudding!! Craig Cowing Bonsai 8 29-05-2003 05:22 AM