Old 19-04-2004, 05:04 PM
David J. Bockman

Default [IBC] black aphid infestation on Ulmus P

Whilst doing my morning perambulation through the greenhouse I note a sudden
attack of what appear to be black aphids on a large-ish Ulmus p. corticosa.

Does anyone know of negative reactions of Ulmus when Sevin is applied? I
also have Orthene and Malathion immediately on hand...

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Jim Lewis

Whilst doing my morning perambulation through the greenhouse I
note a sudden
attack of what appear to be black aphids on a large-ish Ulmus

p. corticosa.

Does anyone know of negative reactions of Ulmus when Sevin is

applied? I
also have Orthene and Malathion immediately on hand...

Those all are kind of an overkill, David.

Put the tree outside and give the leaves a HARD spray with water
and that should take care of it. It oughta be warm enough for
elms now in VA. As soon as you're outside the bug problems
should abate.

But to answer your question, Sevin AFIK won't hurt an elm. What
does the label say?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Blessed
statistics: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville!
Population: 2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL =
6850

Old 19-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Carl L Rosner

David:
Why not try my stand by. I have never used it on a tree with adverse
results (at least to the tree)! ;-)

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

SOAP solution!

I pour a solution of 1 to 2 tablespoon dishwashing detergent, 1
tablespoon of vegetable oil into a plastic gallon and slowly add

water to fill the gallon jug. I fill this solution from the gallon
bottle into a spray bottle and just before using I add 1 to 2 two caps

full (from the rubbing alcohol bottle) of rubbing alcohol and spray
immediately. If you do not use the full bottle of spray, I

suggest the next time you are going to use the soap/alcohol solution add
the same amount of rubbing alcohol again, since the

alcohol will evaporate. I store this soap/oil solution in the gallon jug
for months on end. It does not seem to go bad.

Spray on plants covering all leaf and stem surfaces. You may have to
spray from three to four times with intervals of three

days. I have eliminated almost any kind of pest that have attacked my
trees, including scale.

I do not wash off the spray and have seen no adverse reaction to the
trees from this mixture.

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 19-04-2004, 08:07 PM
David J. Bockman

I'll blast it Jim, and see if I can knock them off. I can't believe I didn't
notice it before, but it's *quite* heavy-- many leaves are almost solid
black, seemingly overnight.

Aphid Infestation Ben Roses 1 31-05-2004 07:05 AM
FYI - Sevin Pesticide caused aphid infestation Pelvis Popcan Gardening 41 16-08-2003 11:32 PM
Oil, Soap & Water - was Sevin Pesticide caused aphid infestation John DeBoo Gardening 5 12-08-2003 05:22 AM
Wooly aphid bad infestation on apple tree Stuart Meier United Kingdom 7 16-07-2003 06:41 PM
Conifer aphid massive infestation Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 9 26-04-2003 10:33 PM