Old 10-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Pelvis Popcan

Default FYI - Sevin Pesticide caused aphid infestation

I have been spraying my ornamental flowers every 14 days starting in
June with Carbaryl (Sevin).

This past Monday, two days after I sprayed on Saturday, I was pruning
off deadheads and dead or yellow leaves from my plants when I came to
two containers of convolvulus that had quite a few yellow leaves. I
noticed a very pungent odor. After I clipped a couple of leaves off, I
noticed that tons of pieces were flaking off of them. I discovered
that the pieces were live aphids. The under sides of all of the leaves
were clotted with them.

I was able to kill them off using Raid House and Garden spray.

I did some research and discovered that Carbaryl is ineffective at
killing aphids, even though the website for Sevin (gardentech.com)
lists aphids on their pest list. After searching for "aphid" and
"carbaryl," I read of some studies where aphid population dramatically
increased after spraying repeatedly with Carbaryl. This is because
Carbaryl doesn't kill aphids but does kill most of their natural
predators (namely ladybugs).

I have decided to switch from Carbaryl to Esfenvalerate (Ortho Bug Be
Gone Concentrate).

Old 10-08-2003, 07:12 AM
Jan Flora

In article , Pelvis Popcan
wrote:

[...]

We use a strong spray from the water hose to kill aphid. If that fails, we
use a tablespoon of dishsoap in a spray bottle filled with water to kill them.

Jan
Old 10-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Pelvis Popcan

We use a strong spray from the water hose to kill aphid. If that fails, we
use a tablespoon of dishsoap in a spray bottle filled with water to kill them.

Jan

That's probably why Garden Tech lists aphid on their pest list, since
Sevin Concentrate contains agents which thicken it and make it stick
to leaves. So technically it can kill aphids by drowning them the same
way soapy water can.

On my convolvulus, I actually found an equal number of white flakes
which turned out to be dead aphids on the *tops* of the leaves. But
since it's much harder to hit the *undersides* of the leaves which is
where I learned aphids tend to congregate, it's more effective to use
a chemical that actually kills them.

Of course it depends on the plant, as on some plants it might be
easier to hit both sides of the leaves.

Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Joseph Meehan

Good advertisement for organic gardening.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

news

Old 10-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:44:50 -0400, Pelvis Popcan
wrote:

I have been spraying my ornamental flowers every 14 days starting in
June with Carbaryl (Sevin).

Why?

I was able to kill them off using Raid House and Garden spray.

Terrific

I have decided to switch from Carbaryl to Esfenvalerate (Ortho Bug Be
Gone Concentrate).

Have you not noticed that this newsgroup is heavily weighted toward
organic practices, and even those of use who occasionally use
something from a commercial can/box/bag must apologize profusely?

Sevin is an indescriminate killer that affects bees and butterflies
(hope you weren't trying to grow any veg crops). Aphids are
traditionally and easily washed away with water spray, or at worst,
water and detergent. Bug-B-Gon kills "over 75 insect types on
contact." That is, it'll kill everything that's hit by the spray, and
probably not do a thing for preventing further infestations.

I have recently posted a rant about anti-"chemical" philosophies, but
geez -- spraying Sevin on everything for no particular reason? And
following up with Raid and Bug-B-Gon? That's waay too much for even my
"non-organic" views.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Beecrofter

[...]

Why not learn how to garden? Most aphid infestations that get out of
hand are self inflicted. Change your cultural practices and you will
see fewer aphids.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Pelvis Popcan

I use a strong water spray on my plants every day. It doesn't get off
all the bugs.

The number one pest I have is Japanese Beetles. I've tried spraying
them, picking them off, etc. They eat new buds, they eat the leaves,
it's horrible. I have four Japanese Beetle traps around my yard. These
are the plastic traps that hold about 10x more beetles than the bags.
Every three days, each trap is filled to the top. It's THAT bad.

I would put milky spore down, however, I can't. I live in a condo
community. They allow us to plant containers and even our own flowers
in some spots.

I wrote the association about putting milky spore down. Don't know if
it will do any good.

I'm not growing vegetables, only flowers. I'm only spraying the
containers in my condo.

As for vegetables, with the amount of bugs I get, I can't see how a
farmer could grow a crop without some form of pesticide to stop the
destruction. For example, most bananas come from Mexico/South America.
There, a naturally growing bunch of bananas gets clotted with insects,
so in order to protect it, they have to cover each bunch with an
insecticide soaked plastic bag.

I didn't notice that the group here was anti-pesticide. I apologize
and will refrain from posting more info about it.

Old 10-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Pelvis Popcan

Why not learn how to garden? Most aphid infestations that get out of
hand are self inflicted. Change your cultural practices and you will
see fewer aphids.

I posted the information for others who might find it useful. There's
no need to flame me.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Marley1372

Im not trying to flame you, but the reason that you have an aphid infestation
is that you were indicriminantly spraying your flowers every few weeks.
Spraying only works when there is a pest present. You cannot prevent insects.
By spraying over and over, the few aphids that do survive pass thier genetic
information on to thier young, who then are also resistant. This happens fast
because aphids reproduce incredibly fast. I give this info to my customers on
a daily basis: do not spray an insecticide unless you SEE insects and there
are enough of them to make an impact on the plant. As for japanese beetles, I
pick a few off as I walk by my plants on the way to work in the morning. Im
not pushing organic gardening here, im urging common sense! Horticultural oil
works very good on aphids.

Toad
Old 10-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Beecrofter

Pelvis Popcan wrote in message . ..
Why not learn how to garden? Most aphid infestations that get out of
hand are self inflicted. Change your cultural practices and you will
see fewer aphids.

I posted the information for others who might find it useful. There's
no need to flame me.

I have always been blunt however the truth is no flame.

Excess nitrogen, crowded planting and indiscriminate use of broad
spectrum pesticides are the cultural practices leading to aphids
getting out of hand.
Pouring more spray on top of bad habits will not improve your garden
or gardening.
What you essentially posted was bigger pennies in the fusebox, you are
treating the symptoms and not the cause.
If you want a pesticide that is very good on aphids look into a
product called "Hot Pepper Wax " It will get you some control and not
wipe out the benneficials including pollinators which are allready
stressed.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Joseph Meehan

Sorry if it sounded like a flame. It was meant as information. It is
not surprising that so many people turn to chemicals to start with, after
all who has not seen the advertisements for them. You don't see the
information for alternatives, the money is in selling the chemicals not
information.

If we sounded like we were flaming, consider it a flame of the chemical
companies.

Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Tom Jaszewski

wrote:

I have decided to switch from Carbaryl to Esfenvalerate (Ortho Bug Be
Gone Concentrate).

Consider learning how to garden and not pollute the planet with
pesticides!
Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:33:42 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

That's waay too much for even my
"non-organic" views.

Way to go Frogleg!!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:39:27 -0400, Pelvis Popcan
wrote:

I posted the information for others who might find it useful.

USEFULL? idiotic, near sited and irresponsible and you think you are
useful? CLUELESS!