Old 02-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Kevin

Default [IBC] Satsuki Cut Back

I was wondering if Satsuki's will reliably sprout from old wood, anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Kevin

WV zone 6B

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-05-2004, 01:06 AM
marty haber

Yes and no. If the old wood is still healthy, you can scratch the bark
with your thumb nail and see the green of the cambium below it. If it is
brown, you've lost the branch. Usually, it's best to prune satsuki branches
above green leaves to be sure that the branch remains viable.
Marty
I was wondering if Satsuki's will reliably sprout from old wood, anyone

have experience with this?

Thanks

Kevin

WV zone 6B

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-05-2004, 09:02 AM
kevin bailey

If they are growing well they do throw many buds from older wood. You
have to be careful though. They can sometimes withdraw sap and die back,
if cut back too hard, especially at the top as they are basally
dominant.

Try to get hold of Alex Kennedy's "Floral Treasures Of Japan". This
explains everything that you need to know regarding Satsuki's.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

I was wondering if Satsuki's will reliably sprout from old wood, anyone
have experience with this?

Thanks

Kevin

WV zone 6B

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Theo

HI
I have an azalea that I collected 10 years ago in the garbage
lovely pink-white flowrs
last year I decide to bonsai it ,it was growing spindly
shapeless and slowly dieing back

so I drastically cut it but leaving some new branches(last year ones
few weeks later she sprouted nicely and had a wonderful blooming of
flowers ........with a major surprise
it is a suzuki !
some flowers were deep pink stained like in two color zone..

when i first trimmed and had a nice growth fom old wood i cut back
others branches that I left a little bit too long as sap suckers..
now this year after the flowers has gone I leave her resting for 10
days I already gave some fertilizer for rhododendroms and at the end of
the 10 days will ripot and rishape drastically as some branches are
still too long but as had many sprouts I can leave only few ones and cut
the remaining part and start styling it

you can see teh pictures of two of my azelaias and teh light pink
satzuki one:

http://groups.msn.com/BonsaiItalia/s...msnw?Page=Last

Theo

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni (la Rochefocault)

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits."
-Albert Einstein

Old 25-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Steve wachs

If you have growth on the tips of an old branch, it should sprout leaves
anywhere along the branch. I like to work with old azaleas, because they respond
well to heavy cutting by sprouting leaves on old wood.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Steve wachs

I have few satsuki azaleas , they do bud back on old would. I usually prue
mine back right after they bloom.

SteveW

LI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Steve wachs

I have few satsuki azaleas , they do bud back on old wood. I usually prune

Old 08-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Michael Persiano

Steve writes:

I have few satsuki azaleas , they do bud back on old would. I usually prune mine back right after they bloom.

As a rule of thumb, if a bonsai flowers in the spring, prune immediately after flowering. If a bonsai flowers after July, prune in the spring.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++