Old 06-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Beginner Question

Mike

If as you e mail address suggests you are in the Tampa Bay area of Florida
and you want to see Bonsai check out our state convention over Memorial Day
Weekend in Cape Canaveral. Just across the state from you. There you will find
vendors selling all kinds of pre bonsai material as well as books, etc.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday there will be a large vendor area. Saturday and
Sunday the exhibit will be open with some very outstanding trees to see.

BTW, we usually don't start from seed, it takes too long, and a lot of the
varieties we use grow from large cuttings very quickly.

I have never seen a "Screw Pine" made into a bonsai. Not saying it can't be
done, BUT.

Also there are Bonsai Clubs in the Tampa Area. There are clubs that meet in
Crystal River, at the USF Botanical Gardens, in Safety Harbor, in Sarasota and
Clearwater.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

In a message dated 5/5/2004 11:33:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I have a few seeds from a Screw Pine Tree that I think would do well in
this
format (see the link below for more information on the Screw Pine).

http://mgonline.com/screwpine.html

What do you experienced folks think?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Craig Cowing

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

Mike

snip

I have never seen a "Screw Pine" made into a bonsai. Not saying it can't be
done, BUT.

But Billy, it has aerial roots!

Also there are Bonsai Clubs in the Tampa Area. There are clubs that meet in
Crystal River, at the USF Botanical Gardens, in Safety Harbor, in Sarasota and
Clearwater.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

It might be fun to try growing some from seed, but get something else. You'll die
from impatience waiting for a specimen to be ready for it's first bonsai pot.

Billy's suggestion about an upcoming fair is an excellent one and I'd urge you to
follow up. Sounds like a great opportunity. You can talk to vendors, see what is
good for a first tree in your area, etc.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Mike and Jill

Thanks for the information. I do live in the Tampa-area........actually
very close to Safety Harbor and Clearwater.

I will definitely check them out.

Mike

writes:

I have a few seeds from a Screw Pine Tree that I think would do well in
this
format (see the link below for more information on the Screw Pine).

http://mgonline.com/screwpine.html

What do you experienced folks think?

****

****