Old 02-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Justin Diaz

Default [IBC] Collected (butchered) elm update

Hey everyone, the support and encouragement from everyone has been
amazing, thank you all so much for your input.

Here's the plan I decided to go with (a mash of suggestions and a nice
pinch of gut feeling thrown in)

My gut told me to treat it like a cutting I was trying to root, so the
setup is basically that, with provisions made to try and keep the roots on
it alive.

-soaked remaining roots with superthrive
-nebari/trunk split wrapped snuggly with raffia (clean)
-slightly oversized training pot
-frankenstiened plastic bag mini greenhouse enclosure (with some ventilation)
-damp soil (closer to dry than wet)
-tree is in bright but constant shade

It's day 3 since the poor thing was ripped from the ground, and so far no
leaves have dropped, changed color, or wilted.

I have 2 questions, 1 if the tree's going to die, how soon would I know?
If there appears to be no change (it still looks healthy) for say... 2
weeks, can i assume it's going to make it (with proper pampering/care)?
and 2, any more thoughts about fertilizing? should I continue treatment
with superthrive?

Thanks,

Justin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Jim Lewis

I have 2 questions, 1 if the tree's going to die, how soon
would I know?
If there appears to be no change (it still looks healthy) for

say... 2
weeks, can i assume it's going to make it (with proper

pampering/care)?
and 2, any more thoughts about fertilizing? should I continue

treatment
with superthrive?

That looks like 3 questions to me, so I charge double (though I
probably shouldn't charge for my Superthrive response) ;-).

1. and 1 a. You'll know when you will know. It depends on how
healthy the tree was to begin with and how much reserve energy it
has stored in whatever is left of the tree. A couple of weeks
should result in SOME change, but I have had damaged trees sprout
entire branches only to die later. They'll TRY to survive so
their genes stay in the pool, but sometimes there's not enough .
.. .

2. As for the Superthrive, if you already have paid good money
for the bottle, you can still use it, but the more-or-less
scientific info _I_ have read about S-thrive indicates that what
few of its ingredients are actually known may really have an
INHIBITING effect on roots. It _probably_ won't hurt.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Kitsune Miko

Justin,

Elms are a bit wierd in the survial game. I got some
cedar elm roots in February or March. I cut them up
in to 3" pieces, stuck them in pearlite and waited for
sprouting. Two sprouted right away and one just
sprouted yesterday. I will wait until July before I
declare the remainder dead.

If you have roots and the leaves do fall off, check to
see if the bark starts to whither. If not, just hang
on until you see signs of bud swell.

Remember it is a tree and it will think, but
considerable much slower than you do.

Kitsune Miko
--- Justin Diaz wrote:
[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by John
Quinn++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
Besides learning to see, there is another art to be learned -- not to see what is not

The eye that directs the needle in the delicate meshes of embroidery will equally well bisect a star with the spider web of the micrometer. M. Mitchell

We cannot take anything for granted, beyond the first mathematical formulae. Quetion everything else.

Maria Mitchell, scientist, astronomer, suffragette