Old 05-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Wolfram Kretzschmar

Default Tree Trunk Question

Hi everybody,

as i'm from Germany I will get directly to the problem. I have a new
seedling (I think you know what I mean), which is of chinese elm kind. Now I
wanted to know, whether the trunk is continuous or dissolving.

Excuse me if my English, as it's a very special problem, isn't that
correct...

Bye
Wolle

Old 06-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Iris Cohen

Now I wanted to know, whether the trunk is continuous or dissolving.

Sorry, I don't understand you. The trunk of any tree is permanent. It grows by
adding another layer of wood every year. The bark however, is usually not
permanent. The tree sheds it a little at a time. Is this what you meant?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 08-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Wolfram Kretzschmar

Hi all,

Hi, aint to sure about trunk being continuous
or dissolving. can you give me more info? maybe
just try and explain simply what you mean

I wanted to ask, whether the trunk grows continuously upwards (devellops
arm/branch that grows straight upwards), when cut the first time, or whether
it doesn't grow anymore, but devellops branches/arms that grow sidewards...

I found these two descriptions of cutting a new bonsai the first time. One
describes the method for those trees, that have this continuous trunk, while
the other one describes the method for those that whose trunk dissolves...

Bye
Wolle

Old 08-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Bernie

"Wolfram Kretzschmar" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Hi, aint to sure about trunk being continuous
or dissolving. can you give me more info? maybe
just try and explain simply what you mean

I wanted to ask, whether the trunk grows continuously upwards (devellops
arm/branch that grows straight upwards), when cut the first time, or whether
it doesn't grow anymore, but devellops branches/arms that grow sidewards...

I found these two descriptions of cutting a new bonsai the first time. One
describes the method for those trees, that have this continuous trunk, while
the other one describes the method for those that whose trunk dissolves...

Bye
Wolle

Broom style vs. Pine style? I have Chinese elms in both styles. Just
depends how you train them. That said, the office park where I work is
full of Chinese elms, and all of them are essentially Broom.