Old 06-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Tree Trunk Question

Hi everybody,

as i'm from Germany I will get directly to the problem. I have

a new
seedling (I think you know what I mean), which is of chinese

elm kind. Now I
wanted to know, whether the trunk is continuous or dissolving.

Excuse me if my English, as it's a very special problem, isn't

that
correct...

Bye

Maybe one of our German speakers can help, so try a question in
German.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Alan Walker

Wolle: I am not familiar with the terms you are using, "continuous or
dissolving." However, the natural growing habit of the Chinese elm (and most
other elms) is what we call in bonsai the broom or besom style. That is an
upright trunk which then spreads into a multitude of upward spreading of
branches. This resembles an inverted broom, hence the term broom style. The
Japanese name for this style is hooki-zukuri. For directions on how to
create this style, consult John Naka's Bonsai Techniques I, pp. 137-139.
Alan Walker

As I'm from Germany I will get directly to the problem. I have a new
seedling (I think you know what I mean), which is of chinese elm kind. Now I
wanted to know, whether the trunk is continuous or dissolving.

Excuse me if my English, as it's a very special problem, isn't that
correct...
Bye
Wolle

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 6/5/2004 7:16:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Hi everybody,
As I'm from Germany I will get directly to the problem. I have a new
seedling (I think you know what I mean), which is of chinese elm kind. Now I
wanted to know, whether the trunk is continuous or dissolving.

Excuse me if my English, as it's a very special problem, isn't that
correct...
Bye
Wolle
Wolle:

Haben sie eine photographie des baumes?

Vielen Dank,

Michael Persiano
http://members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Wolfram Kretzschmar

Hi all,

Look at this, please. I think, you got, what I ment.

http://www.anzwers.org/free/onkelwolle/

Bye
Wolle

Old 08-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Julie Trigg

Yes, I was only listening with my third ear (trying to work out a problem),
but according to David DeGroot there are two types of tree branch
characteristics. Some trees have continuous and others dissolving.
Julie

in article , Wolfram Kretzschmar at

Old 08-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Henrik Gistvall

OK but looking at the pictures posted by Wolfram, That is something you
decide when it comes to bonsai. We have something that mother nature
have not, wire. If you want a leader on a tree with "dissolving" trunk
you just wire a shot up.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Old 08-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Julie Trigg

But I think the point is, that is a distinct characteristic of some trees.
Julie

in article , Henrik Gistvall at

wrote on 6/6/04 4:22 PM:

Hi all,

Look at this, please. I think, you got, what I ment.

http://www.anzwers.org/free/onkelwolle/

Bye
Wolle

************************************************** ***************************
***
************************************************** ***************************
***

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

************************************************** ****************************
**
************************************************** ****************************
**

Old 08-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Wolfram Kretzschmar

Hi all,

But I think the point is, that is a distinct
characteristic of some trees.

At this point you've understood, what I wanted to know, whether chinese elms
are of the one or the other type. I know, that I have still some time to
think about in which shape I want cut and wire it. But there are some rules
given by nature, which you can break easily (by the means of wire e.g.), but
you shouldn't imho. And I wont. Neither will you shape your bonsai like a
horse I think...

Bye for now
Wolle