Old 12-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Do you work Up or down a tree?

Question for discussion.

When you prune a tree do you start with the lowest branch or at the apex?

Why?

I start with the lowest branch. I don't know why. Maybe it is easier for me
because I am short. Maybe I can see the trunk line that way. The clippings
tend to fall down to the already pruned area so I usually don't trim something
already cut.

When you wire a tree do you start with the lowest branch or at the apex?

Why?

I again start with the lowest branch. I don't know why.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislek of Whitefish, Montana and Chase Rosade of New
Hope, PA.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Lynn Boyd

From: "Billy M. Rhodes"
Subject: [IBC] Do you work Up or down a tree?
Question for discussion.

When you prune a tree do you start with the lowest branch or at the apex?
Why?
I start with the lowest branch. I don't know why. Maybe it is easier for

me
because I am short. Maybe I can see the trunk line that way. The

clippings
tend to fall down to the already pruned area so I usually don't trim

something
already cut.

------------

Billy,

You stopped me short, Billy, because I never had such a question.
Top or bottom never were separated in that way - I think for me the whole
aim was "balance" of some kind. I take the first branch that looks most out
of balance, then, continually moving my turntable just work wherever balance
seems to be the question or a noticeable bad angle needs change.
Thinking of it further- I believe that happens most often in the
upper section of the tree from my viewpoint, but I have not thought that
through.
Sometimes a style throws a real "stopper" and I work at the tree over a
period of weeks until I gain a positive vision, spinning that ole turntable
almost daily.
You do make a good question of it - style certainty? balance?
correction of some sort?
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA
Zone 7-8

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 12-06-2004, 09:04 PM
martyhab

This could lead to a verry interesting thread. I'm on your side ... in most
cases, Billy. Here's my reasoning. I choose my #1 branch based upon its
relationship to the nebari. (I don't want a beautiful #1 if it conflicts
with the position of the surface roots.) Since branches are thickest at the
bottom and thinnest at the top, it is much easier to change the position of
the higher ones than the lower ones. We can make the small branches conform
to the design of the lower ones.
My one exception to the rule is with a subject which is so thickly branched
or foliated that I can't see "inside" the tree. In this case, I would have
to do some preliminary pruning before going down to #1.
Marty
[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Kitsune Miko

I don’t think you can go from top to bottom or bottom
to top on a plant destined to become a bonsai. I
start when I buy a plant. If I have to dig down with
my fingers, I do to make sure that is a good nebari.
Yes, there are ways of improving nebari, but not for
all trees. The next thing I do is feel up the trunk
further to see where there is a curve and if there is
a branch on the inside or outside of that curve. If I
have these criteria, I buy the plant.

Then I open it up, clean it out slowly over time. I
decide if I want to keep sacrificial branches and
fatten the trunk. I decide if a mild pruning is
better than a real chop and shape. If the plant is
strong and healthy and it is the right season and the
right type of tree, I may prune back so that I leave
just a couple of leaves at the end of each branch.

I absolutely NEVER take a new plant and breeze through
form top to bottom or bottom to top, and I have been
doing bonsai for 25 years. If necessary, I can do
that to a plant that I have and know, but I still work
in and out, from the whole mass to the parts and back
out again.

This is my reason for not liking demos. Newbies go
home and try to emulate a demo. They usually kill the
plant and wonder why. I think each demo should have
the warning label: “Don’t try this at home.”

Kitsune Miko

=====
"I was born with a birth defect-- no herd instinct."
Brenda Ueland

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
[IBC] IBC Site down temporarily Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 16-02-2005 11:29 AM
[IBC] IBC Gallery Down again? kevin bailey Bonsai 4 21-12-2003 12:42 AM
[IBC] Avoid Nothing (Was [IBC] Trees to avoid collecting or trying to work with !) Michael Persiano Bonsai 1 18-12-2003 07:05 PM
[IBC] [Re] (IBC) Altered work of ar... also, news from Chicago Chris Cochrane Bonsai 1 30-10-2003 04:02 AM