Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Podocarpus

Tried to send this when the list was down, posted it on the
Gallery's Discussion and have had no responses. I'll try here.

I will have the opportunity to remove two promising large (3
feet) Podocarpus from a Central Florida yard over the
Christmas-New Year holidays.

I've had poor luck digging large Podocarpus.

I've always blamed it on the story that Podocarps don't like
people fiddling with their roots ("NEVER cut more than 20% of the
roots" is in book after book.) But then there was the article in
BT not too long ago showing very large Podocarps with root
systems literally chopped away when they were dug.

While at the Florida convention last month, I was told that the
secret is to cut "almost all" the foliage away, just leaving a
spot of green on each branch.

I'd like to hear from folks with EXPERIENCE with these trees
who'd like to chime in here. These two plants are very nice
potential bonsai. I'd like to get them safely out.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Digging a Podocarpus and moving it north - suggestions sought Jim Lewis Bonsai 5 17-11-2004 09:56 PM
[IBC] Digging a Podocarpus and moving it north - suggestions sought Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 16-11-2004 04:26 PM
[IBC] NZ Podocarpus Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 01-01-2004 02:02 PM
[IBC] podocarpus bonsai - is it dead? Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 21-09-2003 05:12 PM
[IBC] Podocarpus Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 30-06-2003 01:21 AM