Old 29-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Ben Griffin

Default [IBC] Indoor area for tropicals

Hi everyone.

I was wondering what a good indoor humidity level was
for tropicals. I know most apartments and homes are
around 10 percent humidity in the winter months. I
was thinking of setting up a small area in my place
for my tropicals. Will a normal humidifier work, if
so what is better a cold air hmidifier or a warm air
humidifier? Any suggestions on brands? Finally will
a metal halide light decrease the relative humidity in
a room? Any other suggestions in setting up a indoor
area for tropicals during the winter months?

Thanks
Ben

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Ben Griffin

Its a large area not a small area actually its an
entire room.

The room is 20 feet by 20 feet "400 square feet" and
the ceilings are 12 feet high. There are also 5 very
big windows in the room. I have no way to block off
just a small area in the room though so im looking for
a humidifier that can handle that size room. I saw a
few for around 79 dollars at bed bath and beyond that
say they do a 900 square foot area. Does that mean
that they can get a 900 square foot area up to their
max humidity setting "60 percent" or just that they
help raise the humidity a bit in a 900 square foot
area.

I was going to use one 400 watt 5000K color
temperature metal halide light. Not for the entire
room of course just for a small area near 2 of my
windows.

Ben

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Alan Dunbrook

Ben,
I use a Bemis DP3 200 humidifier/air purifier, it will humidify 750 sq.
feet. I do use R/O water in it so I don't have to clean the wicks. It is
a "cool mist humidifier nothing special.
A fan or fans should be used for air circulation.
Never measured the humidity levels feels semi-tropical, plants adapt.

Alan

Blue Mountain Bonsai
Ontario, Canada
Zone 6

Old 29-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Carl L Rosner

Ben,
From my own experience, I have an 8' x 15' green house (120 square
feet) with a sloping roof 12 feet to 9 feet. I have a cool air
humidifer which keeps the tree house at just about 50 %. I also have an
oscillating fan that runs 24/7, which I feel is important to keep the
pest population down.

If I would ever need a new humidifier, I would buy the warm air
humidifier, this time. I do not use Hallide lamps, but Fluorescents.

If you use the Halide, I imagine that the extra heat would help the
humidity increase its percentage.

I am sure that there is someone out in IBC land that could give you a
formula of how much humidity would be developed at a certain
temperature (of your room).

Carl L. Rosner