Old 03-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Azalea desease

I found many leaves like this on an Azalea I have since 9
years
this is the first time I see such a stuff
could someone tell me what it is a how to cure it?
the leaves are dark green and specked with round paler

green dots ,
it is not chlorosis some stains are 1 mm diameters others 3

mm
diameters sometimes separated sometimes united in clusters
Thanks
Theo[/img]

http://internetbonsaiclub.org/galler...1edbd53d3e95ba

It is hard to tell from that picture, Theo. As Alan says if you
can get a macro view of the leaves it will help.

If the leaves are DISTORTED (raised bumps, like blisters), you
may have azalea leaf gall. It is harmless. Just remove the
leaves.

Check the undersides. You may have scale. Use an alcohol-based
pyrethrin spray, or rub them off.

Or, it could simply be old leaves. Are they mostly INSIDE
leaves? If so, they're last year's spring crop and will just
fall off.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Theo

Hi Jim

Jim Lewis wrote:

It is hard to tell from that picture, Theo. As Alan says if you
can get a macro view of the leaves it will help.

will try to make soem with my digital

If the leaves are DISTORTED (raised bumps, like blisters), you
may have azalea leaf gall. It is harmless. Just remove the
leaves.

thinks for thsi second information I found it 2 months ago on another
one and immediately removed... but I did not know the words to explain
it here
gall =galle in french
that's ok thanks

Check the undersides. You may have scale. Use an alcohol-based
pyrethrin spray, or rub them off.

Or, it could simply be old leaves. Are they mostly INSIDE
leaves? If so, they're last year's spring crop and will just
fall off.

Got it thanks for the moment

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni
(la Rochefoucauld)

Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Jim Lewis

The link wouldn't work for me for some reason, but judging by

the
description it could possibly be azalea lace but.
Check under the leaves and if you see small "fly" type insects,

whose wings
look almost like lacework (and seethrough) that would be lace

bug.
If so you can spray with a systemic insecticide. I know Rogor

is one here in
Australia, you may have it over there. If not ask at a nursery.

Just watch
it as it is pretty potent to humans. The leaves will not

recover if it's
lace bug, and it may loose affected foliage, but it will come

back.
Good luck

That's rather drastic treatment for lacebug. A soap spray or a
pyrethrin spray (with or without soap) will do just as well and
at a lot less risk.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Jim Lewis

heer they are teh new pics
in teh second one a smal bug is vivsible I could see only

when teh pic
was made not before
might be it teh responsible of tehse spots
no flies under the leaves

http://internetbonsaiclub.org/galler...?p=11243#11243

Well, whatever it is -- and I suspect it is a sucking insect
(whitefly, lacebug, etc.) damage -- you don't have a serious
infection. If you see the insects, spray them (soap, pyrethrin
or a combination). Otherwise, remove the leaves.

The leaves look very healthy, otherwise.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 05-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Andrew G

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, maybe it is on a bonsai, drastic that is. Perhaps I should have typed
post a little better. The treatment I suggested will not hurt the plant, or
cause foliage to drop. The foliage will drop due to the lace bug. It's just
at work when our Azaleas are infected by lace bug the only treatment that
seems to work is rogor (or similar/equivalent). Our Azaleas may be unlucky
to get lace bug once a year max. The problem is we have used organic sprays,
and were actually a test area for them, and if you did not get the spray to
contact every bug reinfestation occured shortly after. Same happened with
the Aphids. Then again, being a bonsai, ie small, it would be a lot easier
to get all the bugs. Sorry, it wasn't something I thought of till now.
For the original poster it's not lace bug, as the second link worked for me
and I saw the bug. Looks to be a aphid. They could have caused the dots,
that I'm not sure about. Certainly the bug is not scale, as scale are
usually hidden under a coating of some sort (sometimes wax).
If you really want to go organic, and this will work, introduce predatory
wasps or the good ladybirds to get rid of them. You would have to buy them
from somewhere in your local area.

Good luck with it.
Andrew
Forster, Mid North Coast, NSW Australia

****

****

Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

heer they are teh new pics
in teh second one a smal bug is vivsible I could see only

when teh pic

was made not before
might be it teh responsible of tehse spots
no flies under the leaves

http://internetbonsaiclub.org/galler...?p=11243#11243

Well, whatever it is -- and I suspect it is a sucking insect
(whitefly, lacebug, etc.) damage -- you don't have a serious
infection. If you see the insects, spray them (soap, pyrethrin
or a combination). Otherwise, remove the leaves.

Ok tahnks
someone suggested some Cupper sulphate and see..

The leaves look very healthy, otherwise.

Tha's right..
it is teh new growth after clipping the ovaries

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni
(la Rochefoucauld)

Passiion flower leaf damaged by desease/pest Chris Knight United Kingdom 5 28-04-2012 10:40 PM
Blackberry desease Gert Gardening 2 26-07-2006 11:03 PM
Serissa desease :pictures Tiziano Bonsai 2 19-09-2005 07:59 PM
Possible tree desease bob whitehead United Kingdom 2 13-09-2005 07:08 PM
Azalea desease Theo Bonsai 2 04-07-2004 04:02 PM