Old 06-07-2004, 05:03 AM
James Harris

Default [IBC] New Book

What makes it a myth? I've seen many others besides Jerry recommend
humidity trays. If it's a myth why do so many, who are supposedly in the
know, recommend them?

Jim H.
S.E. Michigan, Zone 6

Iris Cohen 7/5/04 8:43:09 PM

I understand that Jerry Meislik's book on Ficus is geared towards
people in
northern climates such as ours, and from what people say it's
outstanding

Yes, it is.

Except for perpetuating the myth about humidity trays.
Iris,

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-07-2004, 05:06 AM
Jay Sinclair

NOOOOO!!!!!

Not the humidity tray debate again!

Let's talk about squirrels, or serissas, or something....

;-)

Jay

Zone 6-ish, Michigan

Old 06-07-2004, 05:06 AM
Anita Hawkins

James Harris wrote:
What makes it a myth? I've seen many others besides Jerry
recommend humidity trays. If it's a myth why do so many,
who are supposedly in the know, recommend them?

The main actual function of humidity trays is to keep the
water that drips thru the drain holes off the furniture or
sill below! It's perpetuated like other myths are, mostly
out of laziness to look up the primary data (speaking
from my biased point of view as a scientist!). Not
restricted to bonsai, but a general houseplant myth as well.

Here's a useful site:
http://gardenline.usask.ca/plants/humidity.html

Actual studies have shown, that in the context of a
centrally-heated home, with its very low relative humidity,
trays are nearly useless. The amount of water that
evaporates from a small tray in one corner of the room
raises the humidity by a very small amount, a few pecentage
points. However, now *I* am being lazy, 'cause it's late at
night and I can't find my references either but that's
about what they found... misting is not very helpful either,
raises local humidity nicely, but for only a few minutes out
of a 24-hour day.

Better ways to raise humidity for your trees:
- humidify the *whole room* (or the whole house) with an
ultrasonic or fan-driven humidifier
- enclose your plants in a small area where you can keep the
humidity up (think mini-greenhouse) but still keep the air
moving with a small fan
- group your plants so the moisture that each actively
transpires into the air can benefit its neighbors

Regards,
Anita
--
Johns Hopkins Pathology Cytogenetics Laboratory
Baltimore, Maryland

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-07-2004, 05:06 AM
James Harris

LOL.....truth be told that's the main reason I use them. :-) My wife
would hit me with a very large stick if I got water on her antique table
on which, I like to display a couple of my indoor trees during the
winter.

Jim H.
S.E. Michigan, Zone 6

Anita Hawkins 7/5/04 11:19:44 PM