Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Ilex vomitoria "Schilling's dwarf" Yaupon holly; miniature hedge q's

Hello, I purchased eight Ilex vomitoria "Schilling's dwarf"

Yaupon
holly plants to use as a miniature hedge underneath my oak

trees. I
live in the hot, tropical part of Florida.

When I got home, I noticed the tag said "full sun," something I

did
not notice while in the store.

First, has anyone here had any luck growing Schilling's Yaupon

holly
in partial or complete shade? I have read that it "grows best

in full
sun," but where I live, we have plants that say they take "full

sun,"
but actually grow better in partial shade because the sun is

very
intense here.

This isn't really an appropriate topic for a bonsai list (you
might try rec.gardens), but . . .

They'll do fine in anything but DEEP shade and they'll probably
survive there but will be quite thin and leggy.

Second, would this be a hard plant to keep trimmed to

approximately
one foot high, one foot wide, and three feet long? I am not an

expert
hedger/trimmer, so I have a lot to learn. (Two shapes I have
considered: (a) a rounded one-foot-by-one-foot; (b) a

one-foot-high by
one-foot-high by three-foot-long oval)

Ugly, but they'll survive -- boxwood might have been better (and
cheaper).

Third, I am wondering if planting this so closely to my live

oak trees
(the dwarf holly will be a hedge encircling the oaks) will

damage or
encroach on the oaks. I have read that this type of holly has

hardy, widespread root system.

The holly is more likely to suffer than the oak. If these are
large oaks, you MAY find that you have a very hard time digging
holes for these plants because oak roots are thick and always so
close to the surface. Digging the holes and cutting the oak
roots could damage the oak if it is smallish.

Fourth, is the plant easily contained within a specified

growing area?
I would like to easily keep it contained with clippers. If it

tends
to creep and spread underground and slowly take over my lawn, I
wouldn't be too happy with it. (I don't want to end up

fighting to
eradicate it from my lawn.)

I Vimitoria doesn't spread invasively, and since the Schillings
doesn't flower or fruit you won't have seeding problems.
"Easily" is another matter. Hedges are very high maintenance.

Instructions are to plant the plants four feet apart. If I want

keep them at a dwarf size of one-foot-wide by one-foot-high,

what
happens if I plant them closer together; say, two feet apart?

You have more holes to dig.

If there are better choices for a miniature hedge underneath my

oaks,
I would be open to suggestions. I have heard of a type of

Japanese
boxwood with a serrated, very tiny leaf, but do not know the

species
or if it even exists.

B. microphylla 'Kingsville dwarf', but if you need a hedge,
this'll be fine -- especially since you've already bought them.
Though I must say, 8 plants doesn't sound like much of a "hedge."

But please remember the rec.gardens newsgroup when you have
general gardening questions like these.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly owned
subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 PM
google4news

Thank you, Jim, for all of your advice and comments. I posted the
original here because, when I did a search under Google Groups, the
bonzai group was the only one that I could pull up any answers/topics
on this plant. It sounded like the bonzai group was the most familiar
with this plant.

You gave me a lot of sound advice, and I appreciate it. I will post
my questions about this plant to the general gardening group in the
future.

Thank you for your indepth comments. At this point, based on your
answers, I am not so sure I will keep these hedge plants and will
probably return them. I want what my neighbor has ... but I have been
unable to determine exactly what he has. He says it is a Japanese
boxwood, but the leaves on his plants are not small and round like the
local Japanese boxwood I have seen for sale; instead the leaves on his
are small and serrated, so I need to do some research.

I will take all future questions to the general gardening group ...
thank you!

Take care.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:02 PM
google4news

Hi John,

An addendum to my last message:

I took a look at the rec. garden newsgroups, and most of them are for
specialties such as bamboo, bonzai and roses. There was only one
nonspecialty group, and it was filled mostly with spam. Another
group, called simply "garden," seems to be mostly inactive. This
could be why, when I googled for my plant term, that it only came up
under this news group.

I hope I can find another group that is as active as this one. This
one seems filled with helpful, friendly people. I will keep my
fingers crossed ...

Now that I imagine it could be difficult to get answers to these
questions elsewhere, I wanted to thank you doubly for taking the time
to respond.