Old 21-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Tlsrider

Default [IBC] Thinking about winter already

I've already introduced myself but I will again. My name is Rick and I am from New England, zone 5. I am relatively new at Bonsai, okay I am still a newbie. I started last year around the end of summer. I have successfuly (so far, anyway) wintered sever
al trees in an area that is unheated and without light. (enclosed porch/basement).

Here is my question, I have three types of tree that I am not sure on how to winter them.
1. GRAPES
2. AZALEA, one bought from bonsai nursery, the other from a landscape nursery.
3. COLLECTED MOUNTAIN LAUREL. (collected locally in March of this year. So far doing very well. I believe Mr. Lewis is familiar with these.

I know nobody wants to hear about winter but please give me a hand here. I am trying to figure out how much space I will need for my trees in the basement.

Thank You very much.........................................Rick

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 22-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Roger Snipes

Rick,

I would suggest that you probably don't want to winter any of your trees in
your basement, unless your basement stays around 40 degrees F, or lower.

There are a number of strategies for winter protection, among them, placing
the tree on the ground in a sheltered location and mulching around the pot,
burying the pot up to the rim in the ground, placing the trees in a cold
frame, placing the trees in a poly-tunnel, etc.

Much will depend on the hardiness of the individual tree. Your locally
collected Mountain Laurel is obviously hardy in your location and will not
need extraordinary measures to overwinter. The azaleas, on the other hand,
may not be hardy in your climate zone. It depends on the variety, and I
would especially look at the azalea you bought from the bonsai nursery. If
it is a Satsuki it is not hardy in zone 5 and will require protection in a
cold frame or cold greenhouse that will not let it get below around 25
degrees F.

If you search through the archives you will find a number of threads
discussing winter protection.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

I've already introduced myself but I will again. My name is Rick and I am
from New England, zone 5. I am relatively new at Bonsai, okay I am still a
newbie. I started last year around the end of summer. I have successfuly
(so far, anyway) wintered several trees in an area that is unheated and
without light. (enclosed porch/basement).

Here is my question, I have three types of tree that I am not sure on how to
winter them.
1. GRAPES
2. AZALEA, one bought from bonsai nursery, the other from a landscape
nursery.
3. COLLECTED MOUNTAIN LAUREL. (collected locally in March of this year. So
far doing very well. I believe Mr. Lewis is familiar with these.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Tlsrider

Yes Roger, the area is not really my basement, but more or less an area
under an unheated porch, it is hard to explain but it definately stays below
40 F in the winter. My biggest concern is do the Mountain Laurel need
sunlight throughout the winter? I dont want to risk leaving them