Old 27-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Root growing from cuttings

Well, the cuttings I'm trying to grow roots on are oak. White
oak and
black oak I thing they are. I tried growing maple by root

stimulation from
cuttings but with no luck. However the only luck I've had has

bin with
willow. The willow cuttings grew roots after about 2 weeks. I

don't know
if it was because of the gel or because willows( I've read) are

very easy
to propagate. I also read that cuttings should be taken in

winter, but can
also be taken in mid summer.

I think you will find the oaks to be very difficult to root.
Maples -- depending on the species -- are fairly easy, and as you
noted willow roots easily.

Read Brent's article on rooting as suggested earlier.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-07-2004, 09:06 PM
kevin bailey

I have no experience with Oak cuttings. I do all mine from Acorns - very
easy. Maple shouldn't be too difficult. Again it does depend on the
type. Follow the detailed advice given in good books and provide the
correct conditions of shade, mist and warmth at the right time of year
for the type of cutting. You should usually achieve a good success rate.

Willow can be rooted with almost 100% success in a bucket of water!

Hardwood generally in winter, outdoors in slit trenches. Soft and semi
hard-wood generally in july/august.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Old 28-07-2004, 12:03 AM
kevin bailey

Our chairman ground layered an oak with a split bucket. It took two
years and is now a show-stopper. It won best in show at the National
Society (Southport) 2001 (I think).

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales